Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 11, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Ring Day run rule
Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • April 12, 2024

It was Ring Day in Aggieland when No. 3 Texas A&M faced off against No. 6 Vanderbilt on Friday night in the first game of a three-game set. The...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Diversity in action

Texas A&M sophomore civil engineering major Brandon Lewis was tired of all of the talks about multicultural education. He wanted real action.
“We oftentimes talk about the issues, but not enough actions are taken,” Lewis said. “The reason that (people) only address the policies is (because) it is the first and easiest step.”
In Sterling C. Evans Library Monday night, student panelists and audience members – including Lewis – demanded action, but disagreed over the source of the responsibility. The meeting marked the third seminar in the Series of Multicultural Education Resources and Discourses in a Global Society, sponsored by the Texas A&M Libraries and The Race and Ethnic Studies Institute.
Panelists disagreed over whether the University or students should play a bigger role in multicultural education. Some insisted that the key to multicultural education was to force-feed diversity to students who have not been previously exposed to it, and that actions by the University were crucial to its success.
Student Body President Jackson Hildebrand said the University has taken steps to address the issue of diversity. He also attributed the lack of multicultural concerns to the lack of knowledge to multicultural events on campus.
Hildebrand pointed to the empty seats in the room and said, “This room isn’t full – not because (the students) resist – they just don’t know about (the event).”
President of International Graduate Student Association Marie Leonard, a graduate student in sociology, said the University has not done enough to promote and fund diversity programs on campus, especially study abroad programs.
Junior finance major Whitney Leggett said that in a world of rapid globalization, students have no choice but to change and adapt to different cultures. She said this is something the University should help them with.
“Texas A&M has not set diversity as an educational goal,” said junior history and political science major Amanda Payne.
Others said multiculturalism is mainly a personal responsibility, and that individuals and student organizations need to take the helm in its effort.
“It is important to make a joint effort,” said junior community health major and President of the African American Student Coalition Venton C. Jones Jr. “The student body needs to learn to come out of (its) comfort zones.”
President of Asian Presidents’ Council Nikita Guo, a senior electrical engineering major, said the need to address multicultural education derives in a large part from the need for multicultural knowledge of students after graduation. The University should provide the resources, but students must ultimately seize the opportunities, she said.
The panelists and the audience agreed that achieving a diversified student body must be a two-sided effort.
“I think The Battalion and other student organizations need to make sure that (multicultural events) are publicized,” Lewis said. “And students have to be receptive and attend these events.”