Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Don’t look up without proper protection on April 8

A&M Libraries help distribute solar viewers, inform Aggies
Students+wait+in+line+to+get+eclipse+glasses+in+Evans+Library+on+Tuesday%2C+March+26%2C+2024.+%28Kyle+Heise%2FThe+Battalion%29+
Photo by Kyle Heise
Students wait in line to get eclipse glasses in Evans Library on Tuesday, March 26, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)

Look up at the sky on April 8 and witness the spectacular meet-up between the sun and the moon, but make sure to do this safely with solar viewers. According to the libraries’ research guides, the eclipse is predicted to start at 12:19 p.m. in College Station and end at 3 p.m. The maximum eclipse will occur at 1:39 p.m. with the sun’s surface 98.61 percent obscured. 

This is Texas’ second visible eclipse in under six months following the Libraries’ October Aggie eclipse event. for students to gather with the Libraries and witness this celestial spectacle. 

Under the leadership of Jessica Simpson, the Research and Scholarly Initiatives librarian at A&M, the Libraries have been handing out solar eclipse viewers all week. Janina Besa Siebert, Class of 1999, a library staff member in Learning and Engagement, and Jilian Eslami, the outreach coordinator, have joined forces with Simpson to form the ‘J cubed’ team. They aim to raise students’ excitement for the upcoming solar eclipse. 

“We are nearly in the crosshairs of a dual event, and something like that just can’t be ignored,” Simpson said. “It helps students understand that there is a safety issue and a concern about looking at the sun during an eclipse.” 

The library team is working diligently to promote safety with licensed glasses and ensure students are well-informed about the event.

“We want to be the hub, so if y’all have questions, ‘Oh, what’s happening in the sky, where can I go?’ We want you to come to the libraries and ask us,” Siebert said. “The library’s website is a go-to for information students may seek. Wherever you are for this total eclipse, that’s an online resource you can use at your house, on campus, or at this center point of the total eclipse.” 

There are misconceptions about the safety of viewing the solar eclipse.  The event has the potential to damage eyes if viewed directly.  Solar viewers also have an expiration date.