76th Speaker of the Senate Marcus Glass, left, poses with incoming 77th Speaker of the Senate Ava Blackburn.
Student leaders reflect on years of service in final Student Senate meeting
Justice Jenson, Senior News Reporter • April 18, 2024

The Student Government Association wrapped up its 76th session by giving out awards such as the Senator, Committee and Statesman of the Year...

Freshman Tiago Pires reaches to return the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Arkansas on Sunday, April 7, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)
No. 14 Aggies receive early exit from SEC Tournament
Matthew Seaver, Sports Writer • April 19, 2024

The No. 14 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell to the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 in a down-to-the-wire duel on Thursday, April 18. Facing off at...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Don’t look up without proper protection on April 8

A&M Libraries help distribute solar viewers, inform Aggies
Students+wait+in+line+to+get+eclipse+glasses+in+Evans+Library+on+Tuesday%2C+March+26%2C+2024.+%28Kyle+Heise%2FThe+Battalion%29+
Photo by Kyle Heise
Students wait in line to get eclipse glasses in Evans Library on Tuesday, March 26, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)

Look up at the sky on April 8 and witness the spectacular meet-up between the sun and the moon, but make sure to do this safely with solar viewers. According to the libraries’ research guides, the eclipse is predicted to start at 12:19 p.m. in College Station and end at 3 p.m. The maximum eclipse will occur at 1:39 p.m. with the sun’s surface 98.61 percent obscured. 

This is Texas’ second visible eclipse in under six months following the Libraries’ October Aggie eclipse event. for students to gather with the Libraries and witness this celestial spectacle. 

Under the leadership of Jessica Simpson, the Research and Scholarly Initiatives librarian at A&M, the Libraries have been handing out solar eclipse viewers all week. Janina Besa Siebert, Class of 1999, a library staff member in Learning and Engagement, and Jilian Eslami, the outreach coordinator, have joined forces with Simpson to form the ‘J cubed’ team. They aim to raise students’ excitement for the upcoming solar eclipse. 

“We are nearly in the crosshairs of a dual event, and something like that just can’t be ignored,” Simpson said. “It helps students understand that there is a safety issue and a concern about looking at the sun during an eclipse.” 

The library team is working diligently to promote safety with licensed glasses and ensure students are well-informed about the event.

“We want to be the hub, so if y’all have questions, ‘Oh, what’s happening in the sky, where can I go?’ We want you to come to the libraries and ask us,” Siebert said. “The library’s website is a go-to for information students may seek. Wherever you are for this total eclipse, that’s an online resource you can use at your house, on campus, or at this center point of the total eclipse.” 

There are misconceptions about the safety of viewing the solar eclipse.  The event has the potential to damage eyes if viewed directly.  Solar viewers also have an expiration date.