Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Double-digit drubbing

For No. 18 Texas A&M, continuing their four game winning streak was important heading into its final home Big 12 series.
The Aggies kept up the momentum by run-ruling the Prairie View A&M Panthers 21-4 in seven innings Wednesday at Olsen Field.
“I thought we played extremely well tonight,” A&M Head Coach Rob Childress said. “We got some guys out on the mound that hadn’t been out there in a while that I thought were really good and offensively it was impressive to watch. I don’t care who was out there on the mound, what we did offensively tonight just kind of built on what we’ve done the last four games.”
A&M’s bats have been hot as of late. During a three-game series with Nebraska, the Aggies outscored the Cornhuskers 28-4.
A&M scored all of its 21 runs in the first three innings, with nine of them coming in the third inning. The first nine Aggie batters reached base in the third inning without recording an out.
“That’s not like facing a Big 12 type guy, but I think he was leaving pitches up for the most part and we hit all the mistakes that they were giving us,” senior first baseman Luke Anders said. “That was the basic principle tonight.”
Many Aggies had a big night with senior center fielder Kyle Colligan leading the Aggies with five RBIs including a three-run home run, a two-RBI double and a walk. Anders had three RBIs including a solo home run, a two-RBI double and a walk.
Sophomore third baseman Caleb Shofner was 3-for-3 with four RBIs including a three-run home run, an RBI double and a single.
“It’s fun whenever our offense is clicking like that,” Anders said. “I can’t remember a time like that this year when it’s has been that dynamic.”
Besides the three-run third inning, Aggie pitchers held the Panthers to four total runs and six hits.
“We were swinging the bat real well,” Anders said. “Pitchers came out and did a great job tonight of throwing strikes and making them either strike out or hit ground balls for us. It was all-around a team win.”
The Aggies will look toward a three-game series against No. 25 Oklahoma State at home this weekend. The Cowboys are 5-9 in the Big 12 but Childress said Oklahoma State is underrated and shouldn’t be judged by its record.
“They are probably the best 5-9 team in the country, with three outstanding starters that anybody in the country would take and plug into their rotation,” Childress said. “They have a freshman closer that’s outstanding, and they can swing the bats. We are going to have our hands full this weekend.”
With three conference series remaining in the regular season, A&M is one game behind Texas in the Big 12 standings with Baylor 1.5 games behind the Aggies.