Junior INF Koko Wooley (3) catches the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 12, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Troubles in ‘Loosa
Braxton Dore, Sports Writer • April 13, 2024

After taking the home series over Kentucky last weekend, No. 12 Texas A&M softball received a well-deserved break over the week before traveling...

Ring Day run rule
Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Easterwood Airport boosts development

Since it opened in 1941, Easterwood Airport has helped Texas A&M and the surrounding areas grow and develop. The airport provides students and faculty with national and international transportation, said Charles Sippial, vice president for administration.
The airport, named Texas Airport of the Year by the Federal Aviation Administration in 1998, also provides students and residents of the Bryan-College Station area with an alternative to driving to larger airports.
“It is more convenient to use Easterwood rather than drive all the way to Houston or Dallas,” said Cassie Rutherford, a civil engineering graduate student.
Airport passengers can avoid large crowds in other airports without sacrificing safety.
“(Other airports) are more crowded, plus it takes longer to get through security,” Rutherford said. “It is the same security procedures (at Easterwood), but there are less people.”
An additional benefit of the airport is the accessibility of the University to international students.
“Many international students say that without the airport, they may not have come to A&M,” said John Happ, director of aviation services.
International students are an important part of initiatives such as Vision 2020, and are key to the diversity A&M is looking for. In addition, attracting international graduate students brings in research dollars for the University, Happ said.
While the airport may not be the main reason, it is a deciding factor in some international students’ decision to come to A&M.
“It was one of the reasons I decided to come here, but A&M has good programs,” said Taeck-Kyu Yim, a graduate civil engineering major from Korea.
A&M and visiting athletic teams are also provided easy access to College Station without having to take long bus rides to other airports.
Easterwood was founded by A&M and is run by University officials, but the airport is an FAA certified, self-supported entity.
“The airport operates on a $3 million budget,” Happ said. “We don’t receive (financial) support from the city, county or the University.”
The Texas A&M University System delegates and visitors to the George Bush Presidential Library fly in and out of Easterwood, Sippial said.
One of Easterwood’s disadvantages is its airfare. Smaller airports often cannot match the rates of larger airports.
“That’s one of the things I’ve been telling these airlines,” Happ said. “You have to get your prices down to get more customers.”