Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Edwards not without his flaws

I am writing to respond to Blakley’s comments on Chet Edwards. Since I am originally from Waco, I am very familiar and well-versed with Edwards’ record.
To begin, Edwards is nothing more than a liberal, not a moderate.Edwards voted in step with former President Clinton, supporting a liberal agenda, thanks to a highly liberal, gerrymandered district that existed prior to redistricting.
Edwards champions himself as pro-military and pro-Fort Hood, but what congressman in his or her right mind would not try to champion the largest military base in the United States if it were in his own district.
Edwards voted against tax cuts, thinking that he can spend your money in Washington better than you and I can here in Texas. Edwards has contributed to our deficits by his sponsorship of pork barrel projects that he frequently brings back to Waco, while liningthe pockets ofarea businessmen who faithfully support him.
He opposed school vouchers, but his kids attend private schools. I guess he doesn’t want minorities to have the same privilege to get a better education than his kids get.
Edwards may be an Aggie, but so have been many others that might have different political and ethical values than that differ from me and other Aggies.
The congressman is only trying to pander to Aggies because they are in his district, not because they might possiblyshare values with him.
I hope that Aggies and constituents of this new district will see through this facade of a political act and protect us from Congressman Edwards keeping his seat in the House of Representatives.