A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Edwards runs for new district slot

Congressman Chet Edwards, Class of 1974, said Thursday if he is re-elected to Congress, serving the A&M community would not be just a job for him, but a deep debt of gratitude.
Edwards is running for congressman in the newly drawn District 17, which now includes Brazos County, along with the rest of central Texas. For the past 13 years, Edwards has served the Waco area.
Including Edwards, there are only three Aggies who currently serve in Congress.
Currently, A&M receives only 27 percent of its funding from the state of Texas, Edwards said. Yet reports show that more than 70 percent of students at A&M depend on financial aid. This reflects the fact that people are already getting in debt, he said
As tuition increases every semester, Edwards said he will fight to direct federal financial support to A. He said he is working as a senior member of the House Appropriations Committee in Congress to increase funding for pell grants and student loans to make college more affordable.
“It should be a clear state and national policy to ensure that the doors of Texas A&M University are always open to middle or low income students,” Edwards said. “People should be accepted on hard work and proven ability, not on their bank accounts.”
Edwards also introduced a bill to re-authorize research grant programs for medical schools affiliated with VA hospitals, which would critically enhance A&M’s Science Center programs. With the incredible research capabilities at A&M, Edwards said, students, faculty and staff can make a vital contribution to issues such as national defense, homeland security, education and agriculture.
Edwards said he enjoyed his time at A&M because it gave him the knowledge that put him a step ahead of everyone else.
“A&Mhas had a profound impact on my life,” he said. “It gave me valuable morals, lessons and friendships.”
While attending A&M, Edwards was involved in the Student Senate. He graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in economics and earned the Earl Rudder/Brown Foundation award, which was given to two outstanding seniors.
Through his extracurricular activities, Edwards had the opportunity to meet Congressman Olin E. Teague, who inspired him to pursue politics.
The day after Edwards graduated, he was offered a job in Washington, D.C., with Teague and began his life in public service.
Nick Anthis, president of the Texas Aggie Democrats, said the organization supports Edwards completely.
“Although people call A&M a Republican stronghold, Chet Edwards really supports the basic values that we Aggies stand for,” Anthis said.Edwards also said that his bipartisan stance has helped him gain public support
“Iam a fiscally conservative, pro-defense Democrat who has won repeated elections by receiving support from Republicans, independents and Democrats,” Edwards said. “I hope to earn the support of students.”