Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 11, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Ring Day run rule
Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • April 12, 2024

It was Ring Day in Aggieland when No. 3 Texas A&M faced off against No. 6 Vanderbilt on Friday night in the first game of a three-game set. The...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Electrical fire damages 9 stores at Post Oak Mall

The cause of a fire that started in a shoe store at Post Oak Mall early Saturday morning has been determined to be electrical, said Bart Humphreys, public information officer for the College Station Fire Department.
Humphreys said CSFD arrived at the mall at 3:51 a.m. after the fire alarm triggered the automatic sprinkler system.
The fire began in the rear of Journey’s shoe store at approximately 3:46 a.m. Eight surrounding stores, including Trevor’s, Gordon’s Jewelers, Wicks-n-Sticks, Victoria’s Secret, Coffee Beanery, Aggieland Outfitters, Gadzooks, Wet Seal and six kiosks, had water and smoke damage, Humphreys said.
“We can’t tell the exact point of origin, and we can’t tell why it started,” Humphreys said.
Jack Love, mall general manager, said the fire caused two sprinkler system heads to burst. Love said those were the two that were supposed to go off.
“The fire sprinkler system did what it was supposed to do,” he said.Love said the sprinkler system is designed to contain fires in small areas until the fire department arrives.
The mall has not determined the cost of the damages, Love said. All the stores that were damaged are now open, except Victoria’s Secret.
Victoria’s Secret is awaiting its corporate company to assess the cost of the damages, Love said.
Anna Arevlo, manager of Trevor’s, said the store opened two hours later on Sunday so it could be cleaned.
Arevalo said the most damage was done near the wall adjacent to Aggieland Outfitters because water was seeping underneath the wall into the store.
“In the middle of the store, there was about an inch of water and all the boxes on the floor got wet,” she said.
Love said the mall opened in time for the kid’s fair Saturday morning, and things went off “without a hitch.”
Love said in the future that carpets will need to be replaced and there may be some paint issues, but everything is back to normal.
“In the grand scheme of things everything is in good shape,” Love said.