Justin Chen, Sports Writer • May 12, 2024

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for Texas A&M baseball. Dominant for most of the season, the Aggies showed signs of weakness in their...

Emergency bill attempts to slow fee proposal

Members of Student Senate on Wednesday will propose emergency legislation asking the Board of Regents to postpone consideration of a university tuition and fee increase proposal until next semester.
The proposed increase of $2.32 per student credit hour to the University Advancement Fee and a 1.93 percent tuition increase to accommodate a rise in the consumer price index will go before the regents for consideration at their meeting Thursday and Friday.
Due to the guaranteed tuition and fee plan for undergraduates, any approved increases would affect only those students who enter A&M beginning next fall or those who fail to graduate in the time allotted for their degree plans.
The Student Senate bill asking for postponement was written by Fernando Sosa, political science senior. Sosa said he hopes to allow students to have more time to understand the proposal, which was outlined Oct. 28 by vice president of finance Jerry Strawser at a public forum.
“Students should have more time to research the proposal and take a more informed position on it,” Sosa said.
The bill would be pushed through emergency legislation, a process that sends bills straight to the senate body, bypassing legislative committees. This allows the bill to be voted on prior to the Thursday regents meeting.
Sosa said his concerns with the proposed increases range from a lack of transparency to a lack of student involvement in the decision.
“Students have not been given any sort of numerical information to show that we have to increase fees. The proposal has been fast tracked,” Sosa said. “We have been given very little time as students to consider the proposal, and it would be irresponsible to represent my position by supporting this proposal without having concrete information on university finances.”
Hannah Weger, communication senior and senate speaker, said Student Senate wants to be sure students are aware of where their money is going.
“A lot of the decision has to deal with transparency — where the money is going and why some conflicts still exist in certain areas,” Weger said.