Emotional sophomore making impact

When sophomore women’s tennis player Morgan Frank was planning for college, she was packing orange and blue clothes.
In 2007, Frank committed to Auburn to play tennis, but after some problems with the coaching staff, Frank decided to continue weighing her recruiting options.
Back on the market, A&M Head Coach Bobby Kleinecke saw Frank at a tournament and decided to recruit and sign the five-star recruit.
“Coach found me at a tournament, liked what he saw, and this is how I ended up here,” Frank said. “I love the school and the people here, so I am glad I came here.”
Upon her arrival in Aggieland, Frank made an immediate impact on the Aggies as she set the school record for doubles winning percentage at .875. She also tied the fourth place record with a .826 singles winning percentage. Frank was the Big 12 No. 3 doubles champion and the No. 5 singles champion.
Frank said she hates losing and wears her emotions on her sleeve. She has a reputation of letting her emotions loose on the court.
“I have always had a pretty big attitude on the court,” Frank said. “I hate to lose. I show my emotions, but it’s fun. I think people like to watch, so it keeps the crowd coming out.”
In 2009, Frank has been a key factor in the Aggies’ success. In matches that Frank wins her singles match, the Aggies have posted a 4-2 record. In matches that Frank loses her singles match, A&M is 0-4.
After dropping their Big 12 opener against Texas Saturday, Frank and the rest of the squad will look to rebound against Texas Tech on Thursday. The Aggies and Red Raiders have one common opponent this season, Texas Christian. Texas Tech defeated TCU 5-2 on Feb. 26, while A&M was upset by TCU 4-3 on March 5.
One advantage that Texas A&M will look to exploit on Thursday is recent play. The Red Raiders have not played a match since they defeated the Horned Frogs in February and could start slow because of their absence from competition.
Frank said the key to the match will be a display of high energy throughout the match, especially in the doubles point.
“We need to come out with energy and show them that this is our house and give it to them,” Frank said. “[We can’t] let them come out thinking they can win the match. Tech always wants to beat us and they always believe they can beat us.”
If the doubles point is an indicator as to how the rest of the match will play out, A&M appears to have an advantage. When playing at George P. Mitchell Tennis Center, the Aggies have dropped one doubles point in five matches played at home.
The Aggies have dropped five of their last six contests. With one of the youngest lineups A&M has ever had, the Aggies are ready to put the past behind them and focus on Texas Tech and the rest of their Big 12 matches.
“I think we have had some ups and down, but everyone is ready to move on,” Frank said. “We don’t look at the past, we are ready for Tech.”