Engineering building to open Fall 2004

Construction on the new chemical engineering building is proceeding at a steady clip and will be complete by June 2004, University officials said.
The new building will be located across from the Zachry building off of University Drive.
“The building’s furnishings will be installed and it will be ready for people to move into by Fall 2004,” said Timothy Donathan, director of facilities, planning and construction for A&M.
The total cost of the project is $3.9 million, which includes construction costs and furniture.
The building’s seven levels will feature lecture halls, research labs and other facilities, Donathan said.
“The lower level will be mostly lecture halls and the second floor will house computer labs,” he said. “Faculty offices will be further up and the uppermost levels will include teaching and research laboratories.”
Plans for the new building began on a smaller scale in 1990 to expand the chemical engineering department’s space, but the project did not take shape until three years ago, said Dr. Kenneth Hall, head of the chemical engineering department.
“This (project) will move our program to the next level because there will be extra space for joint projects with other departments such as chemistry and physics,” Hall said.
Junior chemical engineering major Angela Smith said she and fellow chemical engineering students are looking forward to moving into the new building.
“Having a new building for the department will add some appeal to the curriculum because we will have an area that is made for us to use,” she said. “It will be great and (it will) benefit students as well as faculty to have our department in one central location.”
The chemical engineering department currently uses space in Zachry, Richardson, and the University Services building.
Hall said in addition to the practical benefits, the new building will also attract people because of its eye catching design.
“It will be a beautiful building and not just a square box on campus,” he said.
A model of the finished building can be seen at the Planning and Construction building on University Drive.