A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Extension Service to welcome task force with cards

Texas Task Force-1, the federal search and rescue team headquartered at Texas A&M, has been in New York for more than one week sifting through the rubble of the World Trade Center.
While the task force’s return date is unknown, the Texas Engineering Extension Service is preparing to welcome them home.
The extension is encouraging schools, along with the rest of the community, to make “Thank You” cards and gifts for the group as a sign of appreciation for their efforts in New York.
Items should be dropped off the Bryan-College Station Convention and Visitor’s Bureau by Thursday, Sept. 27.

Texas passes exotic animal law

The state of Texas has passed a new law making ownership of exotic animals more difficult.
The law, effective Sept. 1, requires owners to obtain a permit for each of their exotic pets.
Among the animals included in the new law are lions, tigers, bears, hyenas, chimpanzees and gorillas.
The law hopes to curb the high number of exotic pets in the state.
Texas currently ranks second only to the entire nation of India in tiger population.

State fair plans security changes

DALLAS (AP) – New security measures will be implemented at this year’s State Fair of Texas because of the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington.
Dallas police and fair officials declined to give specifics about the security changes. However, State Fair President Errol McKoy said the public will notice the differences when the gates open Friday.
McKoy said that a review of security procedures is done each year, but the Sept. 11 attacks prompted officials to take a harder look.
”We’re pretty much reviewing everything from A to Z,” McKoy said. ”We will announce all of our changes on Tuesday, and there will be a number of things to announce.”
Fair officials will have a news conference Tuesday to discuss security measures.
”I think they will be appreciated. They’re feel-good changes,” McKoy said.
As in the past, fairgoers can count on seeing handheld metal detectors during certain high-attendance days. Also returning will be police officers on foot, on bicycles, on horseback, in golf carts and in helicopters, Dallas police Deputy Chief Mona Neill said.
Some Dallas residents planning to attend the fair said they would welcome, or at least tolerate, extra precautions.
Ellen Dorn said that she and her family come to the fair every year and plan to attend this year. She said additional security measures might be inconvenient, but necessary.
”I wouldn’t like it, but I’d understand,” Dorn said. ”At least for right now. Maybe not forever.”
State fairs in other parts of the country say they, too, have implemented new security measures.
In Oklahoma City, at the Oklahoma State Fair, officials said they have moderately increased security. The fair began its 17-day run on Sept. 14.
”We obviously reviewed our security plan … and we beefed up our patrols a little bit,” said spokesman Scott Munz. ”But as far as walk-through metal detectors or the handheld detectors, we haven’t done anything like that yet.”

Two South Texas fugitives on loose

McALLEN (AP) – Hidalgo County authorities continued searching Sunday for a convicted murderer and another inmate who escaped from jail after boring a hole through a wall.
Raul Amaya Rios, 20, of Mission, and Leonardo Garcia Lazo, 18, of Pharr, were discovered missing about 11:30 p.m. Friday. Both are considered armed and extremely dangerous.
Rios was recently convicted of murder and was sentenced to 40 years, said Hidalgo County jail spokeswoman Priscilla Lopez Sunday. Lazo, who is charged with robbery and possession of marijuana, was awaiting trial.
Hidalgo County Sheriff Henry Escalon said guards recently searched the inmates’ quarters because they suspected late-night activity, although they found no evidence of tools or tampering.
The department did not say how the men managed to bore through the wall, which has been tried before by other inmates. Two previous attempts were thwarted by searches.
Escalon said jail construction has led to poor security. The cinderblock walls were not originally reinforced with steel bars or cement, although portions of the walls now have been strengthened.
A new, $42.5 million county jail should be completed in January 2003.