A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Factory orders surge by 1.1 percent in December

WASHINGTON – America’s factories saw orders rebound in December, rising by a strong 1.1 percent, a fresh sign that the national economy’s recovery was in full stride as it headed into the new year.
The over-the-month increase reported by the Commerce Department Wednesday came after orders placed with factories dropped by 0.9 percent in November. The latest snapshot of manufacturing activity was better than economists were expecting. They were forecasting a modest 0.3 percent rise in orders for December.
Much of the strength in December reflected stronger demand for ”nondurable” goods.
After keeping their inventories lean, ”businesses are now having to restock everything from clothing and apparel to toothpaste, diapers and prescription and nonprescription medicines,” said Mark Vitner, economist at Wachovia. That restocking, he said, bodes well for helping economic growth in the current quarter, which some analysts predict will exceed at 4 percent annual rate.
For all of 2003, orders to U.S. factories rose by 3.9 percent.On Wall Street, the news failed to impress investors. The Dow Jones industrials were off 10 points and the Nasdaq was down 30 points in trading around noon.
Wednesday’s report, along with other recent economic data, suggest that the nation’s manufacturing sector is gaining some ground.
A more forward-looking report released Monday by the Institute for Supply Management said that manufacturing activity was robust in January.
Job creation in the sector remains weak.
Factories have lost 2.8 million jobs since July 2000, the month manufacturing employment peaked in the last expansion. The nation’s manufacturers were hardest hit by the 2001 recession and have struggled since then to get back on firm footing.
Recent economic data suggest that demand at home and abroad for U.S. manufactured goods is getting stronger.
A weaker dollar and stronger demand from other countries, whose economies are improving, have been helping U.S. exports in recent months. A weaker dollar makes U.S. goods less expensive and thus more competitive on global markets.
The 1.1 percent increase in overall factory orders in December was the largest rise since October, when orders went up by 2.4 percent.
Orders for ”nondurable” goods rose by 2 percent in December, on top of a 0.8 percent increase in November. Orders placed with factories for food, clothing, leather goods, petroleum and coal products, and plastics products all showed gains.
Orders for ”durable” goods rose by 0.3 percent in December, an improvement from November’s 2.4 percent decline. Stronger demand for machinery and electrical equipment were among the categories posting an increase in orders, while orders for cars and furniture were among categories in which orders declined.
Excluding transportation equipment, all other orders to factories rose by 0.9 percent in December, a turnaround from the 1.1 percent drop seen in November.