Fall diversity seminar series to highlight racial stereotypes in medical education

The unique challenges underrepresented minorities may face in medical education will be discussed at a Thursday lecture.
The “Enhancing Diversity Seminar Series” has been hosted by the Office of Diversity since 2010, and Thursday’s lecture will feature Darin Latimore’s talk “Stereotype Threat, One Health and Their Implications for Transforming Healthcare.” 
“[The series] aims to enrich campus dialogues around issues that are important for our institutional values and mission as well as educational outcomes,” said Christine Stanley, vice president and associate provost for diversity. 
Latimore, the associate dean of student and resident diversity at University of California Davis, said his research stems from a place of both professional and personal interest. 
“I’m really committed to helping diversify the healthcare workforce in general,” Latimore said. “I’m also extraordinarily committed to the pipeline and mentoring undergraduates and actually K-12 students to help them realize what they’re capable of doing, because so often many students are discouraged along the way and not given encouragement. So it’s right down what I consider to be important professionally and personally.”
Latimore said underrepresented minorities can also face challenges in their education, as many have bad perceptions of themselves due to discouragement from educators.
“Students who are not in the majority are often, or who come from poorer communities, are often told what they can’t do,” Latimore said. “They therefore come to college with a lot of preconceived notions about their abilities versus other people’s abilities — in this case Caucasians or Asians.”
Stanley said this topic is one of great importance in today’s society. 
“This topic is particularly important as we consider the health disparities facing our society and world,” Stanley said.
Latimore said in particular he hopes underrepresented minority students attend this lecture because he feels the presentation will resonate with them.
“I hope everyone will come but I really hope that students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and URMs [underrepresented minorities] come, because I think it will validate a lot of their experiences,” Latimore said.
“Stereotype Threat, One Health, and The Implications for Transforming Healthcare” will start at 9:30 a.m. Thursday in Rudder 601. Registration is free.