Fallen students to be awarded remembrance ring crests

Current students who pass away before accumulating enough credit hours will never receive their Aggie Ring. However, The Association of Former Students has made an effort for more than a decade to honor these students with the Ring Remembrance ceremony along with the traditional recognition at Aggie Muster.
This year, 10 medallion ring crests will be presented to families Monday at the Clayton Williams Alumni Center to honor the fallen Aggies of the past year as a tribute to the students and to the Aggie Ring they would have received.
Ryan Johnson, campus relations committee chair for Traditions Council, said although the event differs from the well-known Muster ceremony, Ring Remembrance shares the same date as well as the same sentimental atmosphere to honor fallen Aggies.
“This ceremony is a little more personal than Muster just because the amount of people present is smaller,” Johnson said. “That being said, without a doubt, Muster is one of the most special events I have attended at Texas A&M – a true sense of community is shown, and it is a wonderful display of the Aggie spirit.”
Johnson said the ceremony is an experience difficult to put into words.
“This ceremony is unlike any other that I have ever experienced,” Johnson said. “It is a very small, intimate ceremony that has such a personal feel to it. I am honored that I have been able to participate in this ceremony as a member of Traditions Council, and it is something that I will truly cherish having been a part of.”
Student Body President Reid Joseph will speak at the event. He said he attended last year and found the experience to be very moving.
“I remember talking to some of the families afterward and its very interesting because each family is in a different place, some have lost their loved one nearly a year ago, and then some are still really recent, it’s a very unique feeling being in there,” Joseph said.
As a reflection to the Aggie network, Johnson said the Ring Remembrance ceremony is an event that is invaluable to the University.
Kathryn Greenwade, vice president of The Association and Class of 1988, said The Association has made an effort since the start of the event in 2000 to continue to honor Aggie students.
“[Ring Remembrance] is something special to us because it allows us to convey our sympathy and allows the parents to have something to recognize their child’s time at A&M and their time as a part of the Aggie network,” Greenwade said.
Honorees
– Ian Alexander Pogue ’16
– Travis Terrell Lamb ’15
– Raka Mallick ’15
– Vergil “Coke” Hopping ’11
– Austin Kyle Stanfill ’14
– Polo Hafoka Manukainiu ’16
– Jae Hoon An ’14
– Caleb Tate ’15
– Jinhoon Lee ’13
– Marcus Johnson ’15