Family confirms Texas A&M cadet’s identity

The Corps of Cadets reacts as the Office of the Commandant receives confirmation that the body found in Mariln, Texas, was that of missing Texas A&M student and Squadron 18 member Anthony Joseph Carey.
It is with extreme sadness that I confirm the death of cadet Anthony Carey 13, a member of the Corps of Cadets, said Brig. Gen. and Commandant of the Corps of Cadets Joe Ramirez. I want to offer my condolences to Anthony Careys family, friends and fellow cadets on his loss. We all stand together as Aggies today as we mourn the loss of one of our own.
Carey joined the Corps of Cadets in 2010 as a sophomore. Ramirez said Carey was going to be the executive officer of Squadron 18 this year.
Senior international studies major and Corps Commander Marquis Alexander said the news was felt throughout the Corps.
The impact of the confirmation was a strong blow to the Corps, Alexander said. Its always hard when you lose a member of your ranks, especially someone as special as Anthony.
Those close to Carey like senior industrial engineering major and 1st Wing Commander Cai Benavides are still trying to process whats happened. Benavides, who had also been in Squadron 18, said Carey had a remarkable dualism to him.
He was a very quiet guy until you got to know him, Benavides said. While being completely aware of how extraordinary a person he was, he was also the most humble guy I knew.
Benavides said he recognizes the circumstances behind whats happened, something cadets are coping with as they attempt to overcome this tragedy together.
As opposed to trying to find the rationale or reason behind the events that led us here, were more focused on coming together, getting through this as a family, Benavides said.
Alexander said Carey would be honored as the Corps continues with its mission of producing leaders.
He will never be forgotten, Alexander said. But as we grieve, we are going to press on and produce great leaders, like Anthony, for our state and our nation.
Carey was last seen leaving his home in Houston on Aug. 23 at noon to his on-campus dormitory.
A funeral for Carey will be held in Houston at 10 a.m. on Aug. 31 at Chapelwood United Methodist Church, Buses will be available on campus for students who would like to attend. Buses will arrive at 6 a.m. on Lewis Street behind the Quad and will depart at 6:30 a.m. Students are asked to arrive no later than 6:15 a.m.
Benavides said he wanted people to know Carey was the embodiment of the Aggie spirit.
Hes what every Aggie strives to be, Benavides said. He was exactly the ideal Aggie that all of us think of and speak of when we speak in generalities about A&M.