Family remembers Aggie killed in 9/11 terrorist attack

Jimmy Storey, Class of 1965, died in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

On the morning of Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2001, an Aggie was caught in the largest terrorist attack in the history of the United States.
Jimmy Storey, Class of 1965 and former senior vice president for Marsh & McLennan, traveled from Houston to New York City on a business trip on that fateful day. Storey was on the 99th floor at the North World Trade Center to visit company offices that Tuesday morning. Storey was one of 2,977 people who lost their lives during the 9/11 attacks.
Cynthia Morrow, Class of 1988 and Storey’s daughter, said if he made it to the business meeting a little later, he may have missed the attack by the Boeing 767.
“He was having a meeting in the World Trade Center at that time,” Morrow said. “Some of the people who made the meeting on time were in there and those who got to the meeting [late] were not.”
Morrow said he kept family very close and was heavily invested in his grandchildren.
“He was a hard worker — he worked six days a week for as long as I can remember,” Morrow said. “He also liked to read and travel — he always had a hard time relaxing. He loved family, he really enjoyed grandkids. He had four when he passed away and now five and he was really enjoying that part.”
Morrow said she wished her father could have been more involved in the lives of his grandchildren as they grew up.
“He would have been the person at every volleyball game or dance,” Morrow said. “He would have been that grandfather that was there at everything — whether he hated it or not — he would have been there because that was who he was.”
Morrow said Storey was a supportive and accepting person, providing encouragement when needed.
“He was the person I called when I had questions or when I needed encouragement,” Morrow said. “He taught me the most about working hard and always had ultimate faith in me. That I was smart enough, that I could do it, that I could work hard and keep trying. He was that kind of person I always viewed  no matter what happened, if I failed or succeed, he was always there for me.”
Storey tried to stay involved with A&M over the years, but was geographically separated for 22 years when he lived in Washington while working for Aetna Insurance. Morrow said he donated a lot to the Century Club when in Washington and was more involved when he and his family moved to Houston.
Two other Aggies died in the attacks, as well. Lt. Col. Jerry Don Dickerson, Class of 1992 and assistant executive officer for the army deputy chief of staff for Programs, died when American Airlines flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon. Lee Adler, Class of 1984 and systems programmer at Cantor Fitzgerald, died in the North Tower of the World Trade Center. Family members could not be reached.