Fatima nominated for editor in chief

As a child, Nishi Fatima would stuff clippings of sports stories into an imported cigar box that belonged to her grandfather. Now, as a junior sociology major, she has been nominated to be the editor in chief of The Battalion.
“The box is exploding – I would always read (the articles) over and over,” said Fatima, a native of Elmhust, Ill., whose current hometown is The Woodlands. “That was my foundation for journalism. No one can tell now but I wanted to be a sports writer (when I was younger).”
Fatima, who is the managing editor and has been employed as an Aggielife writer and entertainment editor for The Battalion, was nominated by the Student Media Advisory Board to serve the position for spring 2005 on Nov. 19. She is awaiting approval from Executive Vice President and Provost David Prior.
Shahina Murtuza, Fatima’s mother, said Fatima has always been interested in writing, but that her interest in journalism developed later in life.
“I don’t think she was so much into journalism until she came to college,” Murtuza said. “A&M was the turning point.”
Fatima said that working as an intern for The Austin American-Statesman last summer piqued her interest in journalism.
“Working for (The Statesman) over the summer completely sealed the deal for me,” Fatima said. “I was able to be in a professional new environment and it was addictive.”
She said she has gotten much of her inspiration for writing from reading entertainment magazines and encourages Battalion writers to find their voice when writing articles. She also hopes to add more diversity to the Battalion staff.
Murtuza said Fatima’s presence at The Battalion shows that myths that the paper doesn’t honor minorities aren’t true, and hopes that Fatima will help diversify The Battalion.
“She has blended both (her Indian and American) cultures together,” Murtuza said. “It has given her flexibility in life. Her mind and her thinking (are) all diversified.”
Ron George, an ex-officio member of the Student Media Advisory Board and adviser to the Battalion said he’s not surprised she ended up in that chair because of her ambition.
“She’s a good example of someone who is not a journalism major who is quite competent to put out the newspaper,” George said. “We’re going to have fewer and fewer editors that have had internship experience. I consider that a problem but that’s a problem that we’re managing.”
Fatima said that working many late hours affects schoolwork and free time but that she will continue to work to balance her life as a student journalist.
“Obviously, if you’re going from class to work and from work to home you don’t have the energy to open your books,” Fatima said. “While I am (a little burned out), I still have another semester in me.”