Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) makes a catch during Texas A&M’s game against UAlbany at the first round of the NCAA Women’s College World Series at Davis Diamond on Friday, May 18, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M wins second regional game 1-0 against Texas State
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • May 18, 2024

Saturday, May 18 was the second time this year that Texas A&M softball met Texas State. The previous matchup between the two squads occurred...

Fencing club strives for championship

Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno. The phrase can be translated to the motto of Dumas famous Three Musketeers, but also stands as the motto for another swashbuckling group the Texas A&M fencing club.
One for all, all for one, the club will fight to become the United States Association of Collegiate Fencing Clubs national champion.
The 15-member fencing club hopes to take home several individual medals as well, drawing inspiration from success at the 2012 nationals when the mens foil team came in first place and junior Lindy Black earned second place in womens individual foil.
Fencing is the sport that anything can happen in a millisecond, said Brigitte Bomer, junior bioenvironmental sciences major. When I am out there, nothing else is on my mind and Im able to channel my thoughts.
The fencing club practices for four hours three days a week. Because they do not have a coach, the less-experienced players look to the veteran players for guidance. One of these veterans is senior applied mathematics major and fourth-year member Zach Bartholomew.
I started fencing competitively when I was 13, Bartholomew said. I read a book that had people fencing in it and thought it would be fun, so I started going to fencing summer camps and joining clubs. Ive been to nationals before and am excited to go back this year.
The teams will compete in the foil, epee and saber categories each with its own rules and varied weight of weapons. Players score points by striking the other opponent with the tip of their weapon. At the tournament, the first player to five points wins and moves on to the next round.
I love fencing because it is challenging and difficult, said junior aerospace engineering major Lawrence Chinnery. I also love the one-on-one interaction between the players.
Many members fenced competitively for years before coming to A&M, while others joined the team after taking a fencing kinesiology class.
My dad fenced in college and he spiked my interest in the sport, Bomer said. When I took a [fencing] kinesiology class, my instructor suggested I join the team and it has been great ever since.
Black, the junior environmental sciences major who earned second place in the womens individual foil, also became involved in the club through the fencing class.
I loved it so much, so I thought I should join the team, Black said. Its more of an art than a sport. It feels so prestigious and I really feel part of a team.
Although fencing is mainly an individual sport, the team works together during practices to work on technique and perfect their strategies. The team members all stressed the unity that has developed over the season.
My favorite thing about this team is the friends I have made here, Bartholomew said.
The USACFC Nationals tournament will run Saturday and Sunday at Michigan State University.
This is the best team Ive ever been on, said Lindy. I am so excited to BTHO nationals.