Texas A&M Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle stands in a huddle during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Schlossnagle reportedly taking head coaching job at Texas

Just one day after leading Texas A&M baseball to a runner-up appearance at the Men’s College World Series, coach Jim Schlossnagle is leaving...

Film screening, panel to discuss Muslim stereotypes, Islamophobia

The Muslim Faculty Network and the Film Studies Program will host a free screening of the independent film “Mooz-lum” Tuesday to start a conversation about racism and Islamophobia in America. 

“Mooz-lum,” starring Danny Glover and Nia Long, follows a Muslim student entering college and shows his life on a conservative campus before, during and after 9/11. The main character struggles  to keep true to himself and his spirituality after facing incidents in his life because of his Islamic faith.

The Muslim Faculty Network will hold a panel discussion after the movie for all attendees in order to address any questions regarding the Islamic culture and to dispel common misconceptions. Sarah Hemzawi, a biomedical sciences graduate student and member of MSA, is one of the panelists in the discussion.

“It’s an important topic to talk about with all of the current events going on,” Hemzawi said. “People only see one side of the Muslim struggle, and they don’t see the inner side of it. We have the struggle, obviously, with people having Islamophobia and having backlash against Muslims, and on the other side you have people who generally, like everybody else, struggle with spirituality and a connection with God. This movie shows both sides of it.”

Hemzawi said she feels ready to answer any questions other students may have for her regarding her faith and culture, and she welcomes anyone to ask her questions about Islam. 

“Some people will see Muslims on campus and think they can’t approach us,” Hemzawi said. “Come up to us and start a conversation — there are no dumb questions. People should come and ask questions in order to dispel the rumors about Muslims.”

Ahmed Hassan, environmental science sophomore and MSA member, will be another featured panelist. Hassan said although the movie has flaws, it does a better job at informing people about the Islamic faith than mainstream media.

“The media doesn’t try to inform, they just try to enhance the fear factor because people will pay more attention to the news channel and they’ll get more money and ratings for that,” Hassan said. “It’s a good movie. I think people should come to learn more. It does get you to think a little bit and evaluate your views on Muslims, and even your own personal views.”

“Mooz-lum” will show Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. in the Harrington Education Center. Pizza and soft drinks will be provided.