Firefighters to honor NY first responders in stair climb

As the 11th anniversary of the attack on America arrives, firefighters plan a memorial event for those who lost their lives in the line a duty.
Community members will be participating in the second Memorial Stair Climb at 8 a.m. Tuesday at the Varisco Building in Downtown Bryan
At the memorial event firefighters will climb 110 stories of stairs, the same height as the World Trade Center.
Since the Varisco Building is seven stories tall, the firefighters will climb to the top and back 15 times, then climb once more to the fifth floor, to equal 110 stories of stairs.
The firefighters will be wearing full bunker gear just as the first responders did during their attempt to rescue those in the World Trade Centers on Sept. 11, 2001.
Basically were just trying to honor those people that selflessly lost their lives when all they were doing was trying to help, said Jordan Gallagher, B shift battalion chief at Bryan Fire Department. Were trying to symbolically finish their journey for them.
Gallagher was one of the creators of the event last year. Since there was a substantial turnout of participants, he and fellow firefighters decided to make it an annual event.
In the inaugural event, there were 30 firefighters who participated and this year Gallagher is anticipating many more to attend, including firefighters from volunteer fire departments and the College Station Fire Department, plus the attention of the media.
They are expecting to have more spectators this year as well.
A little extra support makes it a little bit easier, said firefighter paramedic Vincent Amore.
After partaking in the event last year, Amore thought that the event was very beneficial for the brotherhood that the rescuers share.
What I enjoyed about it, it just kind of brought us all together, Amore said. It helped us remember all of our brothers who died in the line of duty.
Before the stair climbing commences, the Bryan Fire Department Chaplain, Father Sean Cox, will say a prayer, followed by a moment of silence.
Then there will be a performance of Amazing Grace on the bagpipes by Bryan firefighter Marc Murchinson.
Kristina Fabian, junior civil engineering major, said she was glad to hear about the event in Bryan.
Its very respectful that theyre acknowledging the efforts of the New York City fire departments, Fabian said. It keeps telling the American people that there are caring and dedicated people who would sacrifice their own lives to save others.