Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Fish Camp adds new transportation options at a cost to attendees

Freshmen no longer required to ride charter bus
via fishcamp.tamu.edu

Students and counselors at Fish Camp. Months of preparation takes place before freshmen Aggies encounter their first A&M tradition.

Texas A&M Fish Camp is implementing new transportation options for incoming freshmen in hopes to increase accessibility.

Established in 1954, Fish Camp introduces A&M freshmen to Aggie traditions through an optional three-day orientation program. It is held throughout the summer at the Lakeview Methodist Conference Center near Palestine, Texas. At Lakeview, freshmen are divided into camps to connect, and the experience is entirely student-led by upperclassmen.

Historically, camp attendees have been required to travel to Reed Arena in College Station to check in, load up on charter buses and then travel to the campsite with their designated groups. The charter bus ride was included in the $250 registration fee.

“After much planning and forecasting future trends for the Fish Camp program, it was determined that having charter buses as the sole transportation option from College Station was no longer serving participants in the best way,” the statement reads.

However, on March 28, Fish Camp announced it will offer three options for students to arrive at Lakeview:

• Charter bus: While space will be limited, students can pay a $50 fee to ride a bus from College Station to Lakeview. Seats are on a first come, first serve basis.
  • Bring their car: Students can drive themselves or carpool with other students attending the same session dates. Spaces are limited and will cost $15.
  • Catch a lift: Students can be dropped off at Lakeview and be picked up at Lakeview at no cost. Students can arrange rides from parents, guardians or friends.

“Increasing accessibility is a high priority for the Fish Camp program and was at the heart of this decision,” the statement reads. “We want to provide as many opportunities as possible for participants to get to camp the way that works best for them.”

Prior to the press release, The Battalion contacted leadership to ask about the upcoming changes, but Fish Camp declined to interview. 

Registration for this year’s camp will open online on Tuesday, April 16 at 12:00 p.m., and students will be able to select their preferred option.