Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Fish Camp adds new transportation options at a cost to attendees

Freshmen no longer required to ride charter bus
via fishcamp.tamu.edu

Students and counselors at Fish Camp. Months of preparation takes place before freshmen Aggies encounter their first A&M tradition.

Texas A&M Fish Camp is implementing new transportation options for incoming freshmen in hopes to increase accessibility.

Established in 1954, Fish Camp introduces A&M freshmen to Aggie traditions through an optional three-day orientation program. It is held throughout the summer at the Lakeview Methodist Conference Center near Palestine, Texas. At Lakeview, freshmen are divided into camps to connect, and the experience is entirely student-led by upperclassmen.

Historically, camp attendees have been required to travel to Reed Arena in College Station to check in, load up on charter buses and then travel to the campsite with their designated groups. The charter bus ride was included in the $250 registration fee.

“After much planning and forecasting future trends for the Fish Camp program, it was determined that having charter buses as the sole transportation option from College Station was no longer serving participants in the best way,” the statement reads.

However, on March 28, Fish Camp announced it will offer three options for students to arrive at Lakeview:

• Charter bus: While space will be limited, students can pay a $50 fee to ride a bus from College Station to Lakeview. Seats are on a first come, first serve basis.
  • Bring their car: Students can drive themselves or carpool with other students attending the same session dates. Spaces are limited and will cost $15.
  • Catch a lift: Students can be dropped off at Lakeview and be picked up at Lakeview at no cost. Students can arrange rides from parents, guardians or friends.

“Increasing accessibility is a high priority for the Fish Camp program and was at the heart of this decision,” the statement reads. “We want to provide as many opportunities as possible for participants to get to camp the way that works best for them.”

Prior to the press release, The Battalion contacted leadership to ask about the upcoming changes, but Fish Camp declined to interview. 

Registration for this year’s camp will open online on Tuesday, April 16 at 12:00 p.m., and students will be able to select their preferred option.