Fish Camp calls for namesake nominations

Summer may still be more than six months away, but Fish Camp staff has already started to search for namesakes to represent the camps that will serve the incoming Class of 2019.
Fish Camp encourages all students to submit the name of an Aggie that has impacted Texas A&M to be a camp namesake. Nominations close Nov. 16.
Liz Springs, Fish Camp director of operations, said the staff looks for several qualities in a namesake.
“The most important thing we look for is someone who can truly serve the freshman class, be a positive role model in their lives and give back to the camp,” Springs said. “We look for someone who has really had an influence on A&M and its students and has done positive things for our university.”
Fish Camp namesakes have a unique impact on their respective camps, Springs said.
“It definitely gives freshmen a sense of ownership, because every namesake is truly represented in everything they do at camp,” Springs said. “However, one really important thing that a namesake gives is a resource. Freshmen leave with someone to look up to, someone to go to if they need something and someone to inspire them to do wonderful things for this university.”
Namesakes not only share their name with a Fish Camp — they also get to know the 24 counselors and 100 freshmen who make up the camp in the summer.
The namesake selection process involves a committee within Fish Camp that reviews all nominations, scores them and selects the top nominees. Springs said there is no interview process with the namesakes — nominees that are chosen are notified and they have the option to accept or decline their nomination.
Alex Baker, business administration freshman, said her Fish Camp experience was enhanced by getting to know her camp’s namesake.
“I was inspired that my namesake, Mrs. Drewyor, was so kind and generous toward others and she really made me want to grow into a strong woman like she is,” Baker said. “The experience showed me all the great things A&M has to offer.”
Madison Knesek, communication sophomore, said the connection between namesakes and Aggies gives former Fish Camp attendees a valuable relationship and unforgettable experience.
“I had never been to Fish Camp as a freshman due to gateway and [sorority] recruitment, and so I decided to apply for [Fish Camp] counselor, which changed my life completely,” Knesek said. “Dr. Wylie was my session’s namesake, and he was by far the best ever. He never left the room without giving us a word of advice or sharing something motivational that we could apply to our week. He was such a delight to be around.”
There are close to 50 namesakes chosen each year and each one brings a unique flare to Fish Camp, said sports management junior Laura Miller. Miller said a namesake is more than just a name because each one has a story to tell.
“The name attached to your Fish Camp is not just a name, it represents someone who has made a tremendous impact on Texas A&M,” Miller said. “Whether you are a co-chair, counselor or freshman you have an amazing opportunity to let your namesake’s wisdom and experiences impact you.”
Nominators will be notified by Dec. 22 if their suggestion has been selected.