Fish Fest aims to unite freshman class

Since 2005, Fish Council has worked to bring the freshman class together through Fish Fest, an annual event that offers free food, music and activities for freshman looking to transition into their sophomore year and bond as a class.

The event, put on by Class Councils, is the first class-specific event for each freshman class. The purpose behind it is to unite the class, said Fish Fest director Evan Meyer.

Entertainment at this year’s Fish Fest will include King and Nation, a student music group. Meyer said while many of the staple events of Fish Fest will return, a unique feature of this year’s Fish Fest is the focus on Aggie entertainment.

“It’s not Clayton Gardner like last year,” Meyer said. “It’s not somebody from outside. This year we really wanted to show that this event is about drawing us closer as a class, and that’s why we have freshman acts coming out as well as other Aggie acts.”

Meyer said he hopes the event will create an atmosphere that helps freshmen meet peers in Class Councils.

“The main goal of Fish Fest is unity as a class,” Meyer said. “We haven’t really had an official freshman class hangout, and this is a great way to put that on, a really great platform.”

Class Councils advisor Gregory Fink helped start Fish Fest during his time as director in 2005. Fink said the event started as a way for freshman to come together, but has grown into a tradition.
“Our initial hopes truly revolved around our current reality — to remind our class that we are stronger together,” Fink said. “It’s a joy to see people wanting their class to stay connected each year through events that make you reflect and make meaning on your Texas A&M experiences.  We may have never thought this would be a tradition, but we are certainly glad its impact has turned it into one.”
Meyers said his work with Fish Fest has allowed him to develop his leadership skills.
“It’s been great to see how I’m able to use my leadership abilities to serve my class, and how those in Fish Council have been there to support be the whole way,” Meyer said. “It’s been a heck of a learning experience. I’m very thankful for it, but it’s just great to see that progress has been made, and that this event will be successful because of the work I’ve put in.”

Fish Fest will take place from 6-10 p.m. Thursday in Rudder Theatre.