Fish Fest to celebrate end of first year

Thursday Fish Council will host Fish Fest, an annual event intended to celebrate the completion of a freshman’s first year at Texas A&M.
Fish Council is a freshman organization which exists to represent the incoming class in Class Councils, and works to assemble and facilitate freshman traditions. Freshman business honors and finance double major Anton Cordes serves as the Vice President of the Class of 2020.
“Fish Fest is a more recent tradition with the purpose to promote freshman class unity and celebrate making it through our first year here at Texas A&M,” Cordes said. “It’s similar to Pull-out Day in the sense that there will be yell leaders and we will be doing our first sophomore wildcat as a group.”
The event’s purpose is to promote class unity, according to finance freshman and member of Fish Council Connor Hull.
“As far as what Fish Fest will include, there will be food, games, live entertainment from outside groups as well as on campus groups, as well as a raffle with a lot of really great prizes from businesses in the community,” Hull said. “People should come to Fish Fest because it’s not only a great way to meet and bond with your fellow classmates, but it’s also a fun and exciting event that really emulates what Texas A&M is about and what being apart of the Aggie family means.”
Fish Council member and Computer Science freshman Aden Muhammad said he believes Fish Fest is an event that highlights the importance of class unity.
“Class unity is important because in a class comprised of upwards of 10,000 students, it is often hard to remember that the communal aspect of Texas A&M is one of the most important parts of our university and what makes us stand out,” Muhammad said. “Our obligation to stand alongside one another is integral to our identities as Aggies. The unity that Fish Fest strives to create reminds us that we are apart of something bigger than ourselves.”
Connor Hull said he is eager to see how Fish Council’s hard work will pay off at this event.
“I’m really looking forward to Fish Fest on Thursday,” Hull said. “I think Class Councils has done a great job in planning the event and I think it will for sure be a great success. Everyone should come out and enjoy food, games and live entertainment with their fellow class members.”
Fish Fest will take place Thursday April 20 at 5:30 p.m. in the Architecture Quad. Class of 2020 T-shirts will be on sale at the event for $10.