Fish Fest unites freshmen, despite inclement weather

Lenae Allen

Kali Whitaker, Miranda Rihn, and Sarah Caszatt celebrate with cotton candy at Fish Fest 2015.

Despite heavy rainfall Thursday evening, Class Councils carried on their annual freshman class event, Fish Fest, aiming to connect the Class of 2018 through food, music and other activities.

Taylor McCoy, Fish Fest co-director and psychology freshman, said the event is meant to show class unity,

“As far as difficulties, I would definitely have to say the weather just because the morning of and the week before you have to anticipate that,” McCoy said.
Thursday’s event had to make some adjustments due to the weather.  Students were provided with indoor games like Jenga and a plate-sized version of Connect The Dots, along with food and live music from local artists.

Evan Meyer, Fish Fest co-director and a sophomore in the engineering academy at Blinn, said preparation for Fish Fest started several months ago, and he and McCoy both applied while they were in the FLO Fish Council. Meyer said he was interested in the position because it gave him an opportunity to give back to his class.
“The goal of Fish Fest is to unite the freshman class as we transition into our sophomore year,” Meyer said. “So this is an opportunity for us to come together here, enjoy some free food, play some games and hang out.”
Amanda Coleman, food science and technology freshman, attended the event. She said having the opportunity to meet and interact with other students in her class was important, as she came from a small high school.

“I graduated out of a class of 17 people,” Coleman said. “Going from 17 people to 10,000 is mind boggling. Everyone is super friendly, and it’s kind of reassuring of the friendliness and spirit of A&M.”

This year, McCoy said the event was successful even with poor weather conditions.
“I think the most rewarding part about doing Fish Fest is obviously the turnout,” McCoy said. “With the weather, it’s great to know that we still had people come out to this event.”

• Kendra Remidios and her band at Fish Fest 2015.