Fish Pond comes back

Fish Pond is back — the site of countless pond hops, postgame yell practices and countless other Aggie traditions. Drained late last spring and relocated to a plaza in front of Sbisa Dining Center, the fountain was refilled with water yesterday at 11 a.m. Originally destined to be moved as a part of the 2009 renovation of Military Walk, the project was pushed back to coincide with the Ross Street Project, which seeks to expand the road around Fish Pond’s previous location. The 73-year-old fountain finding a new home in front of Sbisa, will soon be linked to Rudder pending this fall’s expansion of Military Walk.
“Fish Pond was not in a prominent location before the move,” Lane Stephenson, director of Texas A&M University News and Information Services, said. “Now, it can be given a spotlight.”
Despite its new location, much of the history associated with Fish Pond remains in place. Peter Lang, executive director of transportation for Texas A&M and a coordinator of the Ross Street Project, describes the amount of work spent to preserve the history of the fountain.
“The historic 1938 pedestal was chipped out this summer and lifted by crane into the new pond,” Lang said. “Plaques removed during the move will be placed in the same location, and another added to commemorate.”
Fish Pond and its water is scheduled to be in place by Sunday. It is now ready to take part in another year of Aggie traditions. At the end of every home football game won by Texas A&M, freshman in the Corps of Cadets take to the field to capture the Yell Leaders and carry them to Fish Pond, where they are dunked in Fish Pond.
The sight of Corps freshmen gathering by the end zone at the end of games has elicited roars from the 12th Man for more than 70 years.
“The beginning of throwing the Yell Leaders into Fish Pond started in 1940 following a 26-0 victory over t.u. on the A&M campus. About 2,300 freshmen captured senior yell leaders Buster Keeton and Clarence “Foots” Bland and threw them into the showers,” junior yell leader Nelson Ingram said. “And once they did it next week, it became a tradition.”
As a freshman, Ingram was excited for the opportunity to participate.
“I remember after that first game, my buddies and I were lined up just waiting for the War Hymn to be over so we could stick it to the yell leaders. It was a lot of fun and a great way to end the game,” Ingram said.
Ingram said he is botheager and nervous, awaiting his turn to face down a horde of freshmen.
“I could not be more excited … First Yell on Friday, Midnight Yell on Saturday, and then BTHO SMU on Sunday. But as far as the freshmen tackling me…I have noticed that there are some big freshmen, so I hope they don’t hurt me too bad,” Ingram said.