Five-diamond treatment

Most students know Reveille, the first lady of Aggieland, is the highest ranking member of the Corps of Cadets. They may also know she is taken care of by a sophomore in Company E-2, and if she barks in class, the professor might let the students out of class early.
But Daylon Koster, sophomore agriculture leadership & development major and 2011-2012 Mascot Corporal, said there is a lot most students dont know about Reveille and the responsibility that comes with being her handler.
She has her own bed and she has all the toys she could ever want, Koster said. She is also a senior at Texas A&M, so she gets senior privileges. If she wants to whoop ([or] bark), she can.
Koster said if Rev is sleeping on a cadets bed, that cadet must sleep on the floor, and whenever Reveille travels by air, she typically travels in a private plane.
Koster said Reveille has not barked in any of his classes this year, but that she hardly barks indoors anyway.
Reveille is never left alone. Koster said someone from the Company E-2 is always with her. She even goes home with the Mascot Corporal over
the summer.
[My family] loved her of course, Koster said. There are two types of people who like Reveille and that is either huge Aggie fans or huge dog fans. That counts for 99 percent of the population out there.
Deanna Koster, Daylons mother, said Reveille coming to their house came as a a surprise.
I didnt know that Reveille came home with the handler over the summer, Mrs. Koster said. We were actually in disbelief that Miss Rev was going to get to come to our house. She was our honored guest.
Mrs. Koster said Reveille could not have come into their home at a better time.
We had our little shih tzu, Carmel, for almost 17 years, Mrs. Koster said. We lost Carmel two weeks before Daylon came home with Miss Rev. It was a sad time, but yet, it was the perfect time for her to come into our lives.
Mrs. Koster said Rev was never by herself for the entirety of the summer. On Sunday mornings when the family went to church, Mrs. Koster said her family had to take turns attending the early and late services.
Mrs. Koster said her family had really grown fond of her.
When Daylon went back to school, it was so sad. Not only did I have to say goodbye to my son but to Miss Rev too, Mrs. Koster said.
As Mascot Corporal, Koster is in charge of Reveilles day-to-day activities and is ultimately responsible for her.
Koster said it is a big responsibility, but that he does everything he can to make sure Reveille is taken care of.
I often, just because we are on the 4th floor, carry her down the stairs, just to make it a little easier on her, Koster said.
Ryan Crawford, junior political science major and Macsot Corporal for the 2011- 2012 school year, said he learned a lot in the position.
First thing, I learned to be a little more responsible, Crawford said. You can imagine when it is one persons responsibility to take care of the mascot at A&M.
Micahel Goff, junior history major in Company E-2, said taking care of Reveille is a big responsibility not only for the Mascot Corporal, but also for the entire outfit.
Its honestly a huge responsibility, Goff said. Looking back at my experiences last year, as a 20-year-old student, you are one of the main representatives for the student body of 50,000 or more.
Reveille is one of the biggest celebrities on campus. When The Battalion had a photo shoot with her on the Quad, a crowd of 30 students waited for their chance to snap a photo with the First Lady of Aggieland.
Koster said Reveille is not a princess, but she is a celebrity.
Does this look like a place where a princess would live? Koster said in reference to his small dorm room. She lives in the dorm, she is a member of the Corps of Cadets, and she lives on the fourth floor. Life isnt ruff, but she is the mascot; she works hard.
Koster said Reveille gets everything she wants provided for her. As far as food goes, she prefers Bison sauce, which is like barbecue sauce for a dog.
He said everyone on campus loves to catch a glimpse at Reveille when she walks by.
When I am trying to go through a door, people part the seas all the time because they want to look at her, Koster said. I take anywhere from one to 300 pictures a day, Koster said. In a seven-day week, if you consider football games one event, I would say I attend between 7-12 events.
Koster said he is lucky that most of his classes are close to the Quad or it would take too long to get across campus because of students stopping him for pictures.
I definitely take her on the quickest route possible for sure, Koster said. And every once in a while I take her through a busy place where I know I will get stopped just so people can see her.
Koster said his experience with Reveille has been amazing.
It is probably one of the most unique positions you could have, he said.
Koster said he had the chance to meet and interact with many interesting people while with Reveille.
A really, really cool experience was when we first got inducted to the SEC when we were going the inauguration, he said. We took the University plane, and Coach Sumlin was on that plane. It was just me, [my roommate] Sam, Rev and Coach Sumlin on the University plane. How awesome of an Aggie experience is that?
Koster said game days are always exciting, especially when Reveille gets to run out on the field.
She is not a big fan of running, but she likes to play chase, Koster said. So basically, that is what it turns into in those run outs. I move around and get her excited, and then I sprint out and she chases.
Koster said another great experience was during the summer when he was invited to speak at a leadership development camp in Austin. He said he was speaking not as Reveilles Mascot Corporal, but as a former FFA state officer.
Koster said when he told the campers he was Reveilles Mascot Corporal, they thought it was funny because the camp took place at the ranch that takes care of Bevo.
It was really cool because it was a really proud Texas moment, Koster said.
Dani Wilkins, sophomore sports management major, said Reveille is a special dog and a unique mascot.
I definitely think Reveille stands for something much more than just a general mascot, Wilkins said. To me, she represents pure class for the University. She represents the family aspect at A&M.
Koster said although Reveille is the mascot of Texas A&M, she is just like everyone else.
She is just like a student, just like everyone else, Koster said. She goes to class. She goes to all the home games to support the team and now she is going to away games. She is definitely a busy dog. But she really enjoys going. For her service, that is why she is treated like royalty.