Five takeaways from Donald Trump’s Inauguration

Photo by Via Creative Commons

Donald Trump was sworn in as the 45th President of the United States Friday Jan. 20. 

Inauguration Day 2017 marked a changing point in history. Donald Trump was sworn in as the 45th President of the United States and became the first president without prior governmental or military service. News desk staff writer Tyler Snell gives five takeaways from the Inauguration on Capitol Hill.

1. The peaceful transition of power

In a volatile and often tumultuous election, the inauguration marked what could be the greatest characteristic of American democracy – the peaceful transition of power. Not only did a new president come into office, but a new party. However, there were protests and some police officers injured while trying to calm the crowd, according to CNN but this day still marks the fairly smooth transition from former President Obama’s administration to President Trump’s.

2. Trump calls for power to return to the people

During his Inauguration speech, Trump explained the historical significance of the election returning power back to the people. Following closely with the theme of his campaign, President Trump declared it is time for Washington to give power back to the citizens and says he is going to see to it that this is followed through.

3. A repeated promise of citizens ruling

While describing the current state of America, President Trump painted a dark, poor situation in the country with rusted factories and gangs and crime in inner cities. However, he claimed that this all changes starting today which appealed to the electorate that voted for and supported Trump throughout the election.

4. A call to put America first

Trump described a scene of Americans without work and suffering in urban areas. He said the time put Americans first is now and urges the need to, “buy American and hire American.” Trump wants the United States to put its interests first on the global stage while still caring for and supporting its allies.

5. A new presidential tone

During the election, many people questioned his ability to act as a president and lead a country. According to AOL News, before the inauguration Trump leaked parts of his speech, which he wrote himself, to the press. Known for not sticking closely to a script, Trump actually did speak about his main points. Trump’s inauguration speech helped dispel some of the non-presidential notions with his call for Americans to stay united and act to help each other make the country great again.