The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

Five things to look for in the Democratic debate

Graphic by Reagan Brunsvold
Democratic Primary Debate

The first Democratic Primary debates of the 2016 presidential season will be held Tuesday night in Las Vegas. The debates will be moderated by CNN and will air live at 7:30 p.m. Central Time. Here are five things to look for during the debate.

1. Will Joe Biden make an appearance?

Joe Biden has not officially made a decision about whether or not he will run for president. After his son’s sudden death earlier this year, it is unclear what his ambitions are, but CNN is holding a podium open for him in case he decides to run. If he does, he would definitely fare well in the early rounds, possibly taking support from Hillary Clinton.

2. Hillary or Bernie?

After many months of a seemingly uncontested lead, Hillary Clinton has been losing ground in a few key states to Bernie Sanders, the self-proclaimed socialist from Vermont. The debates are sure to focus heavily on their differences and electability. 

3. Will the debates stay civil?

The Republican Primary Debates have gotten pretty heated, with candidates criticizing each other on and off stage. However, the Democrats have been refraining from seriously criticizing each other. It will be interesting to see whether this trend continues.

4. Where do candidates stand on foreign policy?

In light of recent events in Ukraine and especially in Syria, foreign policy may play a larger role in separating the candidates. Unlike most political issues, politicians from both parties usually show a wider range of opinions when asked about foreign policy. 

5. Is Sanders too far left?

Bernie Sanders may seem like a formidable challenger to Hillary Clinton during the early stages of the primary, however there is doubt that his policies will translate well to a larger audience. Many of his policies, including free public college education, have been criticized for being too left for the wider electorate.