Junior P Emily Kennedy (11) pitches the ball during the Aggie softball teams Maroon & White game on Friday, Oct. 27, 2023 at Davis Diamond (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion).
A&M advances to Super Regionals with run-rule victory over Texas State

When Texas State softball senior RHP Jessica Mullins and Texas A&M junior LHP Emiley Kennedy each started Sunday’s Bryan-College Station...

Flooding the town

Rain could not stop Texas A&M Parents’ Weekend. With a wet weather forecast to start the festivities, it would be natural to fear a less than perfect outcome for this tradition.
However, the Aggie family came together for Parents’ Weekend. Starting Friday with the Aggie Moms’ Boutique, concerts and open houses to Sunday’s awards ceremony, there was no scarcity of events for families.
“The weekend was a great success,” said Rebekah Thornton, co-associate director for Parents’ Weekend and junior marketing major. “We met our numbers by weeks and bounds. The rain didn’t keep anyone away from the barbecue, and we finished the weekend strong.”
The weekend began with thunderstorms, heavy rain and Aggie Ring Day. The storms were not enough to keep the eager from camping to get time tickets.
The rain stopped enough in the afternoon to allow for traditional photos and ring celebrations.
Another event occurring throughout the weekend was the Aggie Moms’ Boutique. Various Aggie Mom clubs both in and out of state gathered in Reed Arena to sell handmade memorabilia – everything from Christmas ornaments to pet T-shirts.
Raffles auctioned off higher end items like tailgating kits or Aggie quilts.
The Corps Class of 2010 walked the field in their senior boots at Friday’s Midnight Yell. The 2008-2009 Parents of the Year, Kenneth and Gerilyn Kleckley, who met at A&M, spoke to students.
Saturday’s events kicked off with the Bevo Burn Barbecue, originally at Duncan Field but moved to Duncan Dining Center as a weather precaution for attendees.
Parents and students enjoyed barbecue dishes prepared by a mixture of A&M organizations.
“This was the first time that the rain plan was ever implemented for the Bevo Barbecue,” said Julie Sirianni, marketing chairwoman for Parents’ Weekend and junior education major. “While it was hair-raising at times, the committee pulled together with strong force and it was quite a success.”
Saturday was filled with Aggie tradition at the Maroon and White Game. With approximately 8,000 in attendance, there was no shortage of spirit. It was a victory for the offense with a 10 point win for a final score of 117 to 107.
Later, the Aggie baseball team swept the Nebraska Huskers 8-2, 10-1 and 10-1.
Sunday concluded Parents’ Weekend. The A&M Men’s Golf Team put on the Aggie Invitational that morning.
The All University Awards Ceremony announced the 2009-2010 Parents of the Year, Johnny and Lea Ann Walker, parents of Houston, Jefferson and Joe Walker, all Company E-2 cadets.
“What makes them so great is that their lives are our lives,” said Joe, the Walkers’ son, a junior accounting major. “They will put down anything just to help us out.”
Performances in the afternoon included the Ross Volunteer Company, with precision drills and ripple lines, and the award-winning Fish Drill Team. The final events were the Cadet Awards and the Parents’ Weekend Review.
The Aggie tradition of Parents’ Weekend has existed since 1919. It has been called Mother and Dad’s Day and Parent Appreciation.