Former Afghanistan ambassador Ryan Crocker charged with DUI in hit-and-run

Former U.S. ambassador Ryan Crocker is facing drunken driving and hit-and-run charges in Spokane, Wash., after colliding with a semi-truck Aug. 14.
Crocker was Dean of the Bush School of Government and Public Service at Texas A&M from 2009 to 2011. He went on administrative leave from the University upon President Barack Obama’s request to be U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan. Andrew Card took over the position and remains interim dean of the Bush School.
The Bush School declined to comment. A&M vice president of marketing and communications Jason Cook said Crocker continues to be on leave from A&M and declined to comment further.
According to The Associated Press, the 63-year-old Spokane native registered a .160 blood-alcohol content twice the legal limit and a .152 in successive breath tests when he was arrested, Washington State Patrol Trooper Troy Briggs said.
Crocker, who was driving a 2009 Ford Mustang convertible, was stopped in the left lane at a red light. And when the light turned green, he tried to turn right across the path of the semi in the right lane, Briggs said.
The vehicles collided and Crockers car spun out, but he kept driving, Briggs said. A witness followed him to a nearby bank and called police.
Crocker pleaded not guilty in court the next day. His next court appearance is scheduled for Sept. 12.
After serving three decades in some of the worlds most dangerous hotspots, Crocker announced he was retiring as ambassador to Afghanistan due to a serious health issue.