Junior INF Koko Wooley (3) catches the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 12, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Troubles in ‘Loosa
Braxton Dore, Sports Writer • April 13, 2024

After taking the home series over Kentucky last weekend, No. 12 Texas A&M softball received a well-deserved break over the week before traveling...

Ring Day run rule
Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Former cadet faces three-year sentence

Michael Edwin Griffin, Class of 2003 and former student commander of the Parsons Mounted Cavalry, was sentenced to three years in prison Monday.
Griffin pleaded guilty to killing 1990 A&M graduate and former cadet Jon David Watts in an accident while driving under the influence on Earl Rudder Freeway North on Aug. 30, 2003.
“I am very sad to see a fine young man … who obviously has a lot going for him, have to go to the penitentiary,” said Travis Bryan, Griffin’s attorney. “But society is requiring this kind of price in these kinds of cases, so he really had no option.”
Watts’ family attorney Brian Baker said he is satisfied with the three-year sentence.
Baker said the defense was looking for probation in the beginning, and that he was not willing to accept anything less than the penitentiary.
“For myself and the DA’s office, the message has to get clear and through,” Baker said. “(It) doesn’t matter if you’re a great kid with a great upbringing and never done anything wrong. If you decide to get behind the wheel of the car (while intoxicated), you are going to go to the penitentiary.”
Griffin’s criminal record prior to the accident merely consisted of a ticket, Baker said.
“Michael Griffin is not your standard person going to the penitentiary,” Baker said. “As far as I can find, he is a good kid with a great upbringing … (who) decided that he would get behind the wheel that night drunk.”
Bryan said Griffin is pleased with the sentence.
“In a way, (he) feels like he needs to serve this time after what has happened,” Bryan said.
As part of the plea bargain, Griffin has to pay for a full-page advertisement in The Battalion. The ad will include a letter written by Griffin, a picture of the accident scene and a picture of Watts, Bryan said.
Baker said he saw an opportunity in the fact that the victim and the defendant were Aggies.
“At least the students can relate to those two individuals,” Baker said.
Bryan said he does not believe the ad will have much effect on the students.
“Kids are going to party, kids are going to get drunk, kids are going to kill people,” Bryan said.
Senior recreation, park, and tourism sciences major Adam Solis said he did not take drinking and driving seriously until he was with his friend when his friend got a DWI.
“Before that, I was one of those who thought ‘nothing can happen to me,'” Solis said.
Solis said he now makes sure he has a safe ride home each time he goes out drinking, but that that does not necessarily mean the driver did not drink at all.
Solis said students have a feeling of invincibility, and that until something happens to them or people close to them, they won’t change their minds.
“I hate for a bunch of people to be out like I used to be,” Solis said. “I used to have no worries in the world. I thought I could get away with anything.”
Griffin will turn himself in on Dec. 6 and begin serving his sentence. The penitentiary where he will serve has not yet been named.