Texas A&M Aggies guard Tyrece Radford (23) blocks Arkansas Razorbacks guard Tramon Mark (12) during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024, at Reed Arena. (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
Free falling
Jace LaViolette (17) an Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle celebrating a home run during Texas A&Ms game against UIW on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
GALLERY: Baseball vs. UIW
Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) catches a pop fly during Texas A&M’s game against McNeese on Sunday, Feb. 18, 2024 at Blue Bell Park. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Free falling
GALLERY: Baseball vs. UIW

Former ‘Mad Men’ star brings cabaret to town

Bryan Batt will come to Bryan this weekend to perform his one man show, “Batt on a Hot Tin Roof.”
MSC OPAS will host the former Mad Men star who has been in a number of Broadway plays and movies, including a recent role in “Twelve Years a Slave”.
Rachel Fisher, vice president of OPAS, said Batt is a great performer and multifaceted entertainer.
“We always try to bring a diverse lineup, and we just think that he appeals to a wide variety of people, more so than our traditional performances and traditional performers, and so we just think he brings a unique perspective,” Fisher said.
Batt said Hurricane Katrina prompted him to do these kinds of autobiographical one-man performances.
“It kind of happened organically, you know,” Batt said. “I was doing it just as a benefit for fundraising, and it went so well, and then I started doing it professionally in New Orleans and then New York and London. People just wanted to see it.”
Batt has performed cabaret performances for nine years off and on, writing his own material, with the exception of the songs.
Batt said “Batt on a Tin Roof” has evolved ever since he started.
“There are certain things I just get sick of, you know,” Batt said. “Things change, or I just want to change it up. If I hear a song I really like, I put it in, stuff like that.”
Batt highlighted the difference in these types of performances from other kinds of media he’s worked in.
“You have to be yourself, you can’t pretend to be another character, it’s your work,” Batt said. “It’s really wonderful to actually directly connect with the audience. During a Broadway play or show you have no idea where to acknowledge the audience. Part of the show is talking to them directly.”
Batt described the show as “gaudy,” promising it to be family friendly and induce many laughs.
“Batt on a Hot Tin Roof” will begin at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Downtown 202 on South Bryan Avenue.