Former student runs for District 14 Representative seat

Photo by Photo by Casey O’Neal

Rick Davis, Class of ’85, is running for a seat in the Texas House of Representatives.

Supporters and staffers gathered at Black Water Draw to drink, eat and converse with Rick Davis, Class of ‘85, a current Republican candidate running for the District 14 seat in the Texas House of Representatives.
Rick Davis, a veteran and an Aggie, currently runs his own small business as an attorney at law. In 2000, Davis was elected to a judgeship for the 272nd District Court and served until March of 2008. This is Davis’ first run for a House seat. His platform reflects a traditional Republican ideology, including support for the Second Amendment, a push for family values and a belief in being anti-abortion.
A father of six, Davis has put three of his children through Texas A&M and two are currently enrolled. Since comparing his student expenses at A&M in the early 1980s to his children’s student expenses, Davis said he has become interested in exploring ways of making university education more accessible and affordable.
“I was in the Corps dorms and had a seven day meal plan,” Davis said. “I had all sports passes. These were all included in my fee slip, lab fees, building use fees, everything except textbooks. And I still have that fee slip from my first semester. It was $1,288.”
A pro-Second Amendment candidate, Davis said he believes anyone without a criminal background should be able to bear arms. He also said he wants to see concealed carry laws extended further.
“I have problems with some of the restrictions that we still have,” Davis said. “For example, why aren’t our teachers, who are entrusted with taking care of and raising and teaching our youth, why are they not allowed to carry a concealed weapon in their own workplace? Some of the most serious workplace violence that somebody could face is being a teacher in public school.”
Mara Kabir, political science junior, is a staffer for Davis’ campaign. Like other student staffers, she discovered the position through the political science department and wanted to get experience working on a campaign. Kabir identifies as a Democrat, but she said it is important to know how to compromise in order to accomplish goals, especially in politics.
“So besides just being on a political campaign, it’s also been a great experience of learning how to compromise and learning how to work with others,” Kabir said. “Knowing that, you can have merits on both sides, and you can actually form a great compromise. Compromise doesn’t always have to be bad.”
In addition to currently working with the Greg Abbott campaign, Ryan Forbis, political science junior, is a staffer for Davis’ campaign. He said Davis promotes a strong and healthy GOP ideology.
“I think it’s really important in this day and age that we rally behind real, good examples of conservative men and women,” Forbis said. “There’s a lot of controversy concerning what it really means to be a Republican right now, and I think Rick Davis is a good example of conservative leader. And I think that he would be the perfect fit for the position.”