Former student, Vietnam veteran to be honored with memorial Saturday

Joseph Kerr Bush 66
Joseph Kerr Bush ’66

As Aggies celebrate Ring Day and Parents’ Weekend, former and current students remember one of their own in the midst of the festivities.

Saturday, Texas A&M will unveil its newest memorial on the front lawn of the Sanders Corps Center to fallen Aggie Joseph Kerr Bush Jr., Class of 1966, in dedication of his service in the Vietnam War. A&M students and the Corps of Cadets outfit A-1, Bush’s outfit, will commemorate Bush’s legacy by dedicating a park bench and a tree to his name.

Bush is remembered by many as a great friend with a heart for service and love for A&M that carried on past his graduation, said Jerry Lummus, Class of 1966 and Bush Jr.’s classmate.

“Joe and I were close friends, and he was a remarkable guy,” Lummus said. “He was a Duncan Dining Center waiter, and then in his junior year he became a Yell Leader, then Head Yell Leader. After graduation, he went on to the 82nd Airborne Division in the Army, looking to serve the country.”

Lummus said Bush’s classmates were able to get the resources available to make the memorial possible more than 40 years after his death in Vietnam, and said it is the least they can do.

“Over the years, those of us who shared time with Joe in A-1 talked about getting a memorial for him,” Lummus said. “We hadn’t been able to pull it off until now, and were able to get approval from the university to install a bench and dedicate it to his memory.”

Although the memorial is one of many on campus, students should recognize their significance, said Bill Cox, assistant director of Facilities Services, responsible for memorial placement and maintenance.

“It’s one of those things it’s important to remember,” Cox said. “These memorials are one of the families’ ways of memorializing the family member and the love they had for A&M.”

Even though this weekend is a time to celebrate, students should take to heart the lessons learned from the memorial, Cox said.

“I think that one of the big lessons learned is appreciation,” Cox said. “It shows how important Texas A&M was in the lives of the people that have been honored and others have seen that and have chosen to honor them on campus because of the impact A&M had on them.”

Robin Sproba, Bush’s daughter and Class of 1990, said Bush’s legacy at A&M and the fact he is still remembered by the Aggie family is meaningful for her.

“It’s a testament to my dad and how he has impacted so many people and how Aggies remember,” Sproba said. “My father passed over 40 years ago, yet Aggies are honoring him this weekend.”

Sprobra said she wants students to remember that four years is enough time to leave a legacy at A&M.
The dedication ceremony will start at 12:30 p.m. Saturday in front of the Sanders Corps Center. The event is free to the public, and students and parents are welcome.