Former Yell Leader, prof to retire after 46-year tenure

Photo by PROVIDED
Segner Yell Leader

From the sidelines of Kyle Field to the lecture halls of Texas A&M, Robert “Bob” Segner Jr. has left his mark on campus history. That legacy will now be preserved in wood and stone after his retirement announcement prompted a former student to donate $250,000 for the renaming of an auditorium in his honor. 

The space, now called Bob Segner Auditorium, is located in Francis Hall. It marks the life and times of a man who entered the construction industry in high school, came to Texas A&M to compliment his experiences with a diploma and served as a Yell Leader to the 12th Man. He eventually became a professor in the Department of Construction Science.

Segner, Class of 1969, announced he would retire in May after a 46-year tenure. He said having the hall named after him is a great honor. 

“It touches my heart,” Segner said. “It has touched me right to the core of my being.”

As the semester rolls on and May approaches, Segner reflects on his time at A&M. Segner said his career in construction science goes back all the way to his high school days.   

“I was already in management by the time I had graduated high school,” Segner said. “At the lower level, I was a foreman but then advanced to assistant superintendent,  superintendent, project manager.” 

Inspired by advice from his father, Segner applied and was accepted to Texas A&M University, where he studied architectural construction. 

“I thought ‘If I am smart enough to do this, I can get a degree in what I’ve been doing all my life,’ and I did,” Segner said. 

Segner served at A&M as a Yell Leader during his junior and senior years, and said the experience was unlike anything else.

“Standing in front of, feeling like you were part of, managing, prompting, urging on the 12th Man — nothing else like it,” Segner said. 

Segner has become an inspiration for many students within the Department of Construction Science, including construction science senior Ryan McDonald.

“Professor Segner inspired a true passion for the construction industry in me,” McDonald said. “His knowledge of the industry is unrivaled, and his willingness to share that knowledge has inspired countless students. I think for someone that has given so much back to this university and program, the absolute least we can do is name a lecture hall in his honor.”  

Joe Horlen, head of the Department of Construction Science, said the lecture hall is at the heart of Francis Hall and is appropriate for the retiring professor.

“Segner is the most recognized person in this department,” Horlen said. “He has taught virtually everyone in the industry.”  

Segner said when he stands in the hallway of the Bob Segner Auditorium, he will always know he left his mark on Texas A&M.

“Here is my legacy and that often brings tears to my eyes, literally,” Segner said.