French philosopher to weigh in on possible threats abroad

The tension between America and powers abroad will be the topic of discussion this Wednesday when the Scowcroft Institute of International Affairs and the Melbern G. Glasscock Center for Humanities Research hosts Pascal Bruckner.

The renowned French writer and “New Philosopher,” will discuss two great threats to the free world — Russia and the Islamic State group — in his lecture, “Civil Society, Public Opinion and the Russian Invasion of Ukraine.”

Bruckner’s talk comes in lieu of recent events, including the Islamic State group moving deeper into Iraq and Russia’s actions against Ukraine, said Don Bailey, associate director of the Scowcroft Institute.

“We brought him in to talk to us about two areas where he has a lot of expertise,” Bailey said. “One is obviously dealing with Russia and where he sees Russia, specifically Putin’s involvement, in Europe  and then his expertise with ISIL and how that’s playing out with them becoming our next great enemy.”

Although the United States is not currently in open conflict with either groups, Bruckner will discuss how the groups could be a threat, Bailey said.

“Specifically I hope he outlines why [Russia and the Islamic State group] are a threat to the free world, especially our European allies,” Bailey said. “He will discuss his views on these conflicts and why he sees ISIL as a possibly new threat to the U.S. and Russia as a larger threat than other people may see it being. For example, he’ll discuss if we’re headed to an open or discreet conflict with Russia, or if it is just a short-lived thing.”

Bruckner’s discussion will focus heavily on Russia’s involvement in the Ukraine and where it goes next, said Richard Golsan, director of the Glasscock Center for Humanities research.

“[Bruckner] believes especially with Putin, or Putin’s Russia, that this aggression in the Ukraine might just be the beginning,” Golsan said. “[Bruckner] believes that we are on the verge of another Cold War with Russia, and we need to recognize this and deal with it through intervention because it’s necessary to our safeguard.”

A Frenchman by nationality and a philosopher by occupation, Bruckner will give great insight into foreign perspectives, said Golsan.

“He’s not a policy analyst person whatsoever,” Golsan said. “But he has his perspectives on it that are European, providing more insight because they are closer to these conflicts, where we see these things from this side of the Atlantic and don’t witness all that they see.”  

Students should take advantage of opportunities to be more aware of what is going on in the world, said Bailey.

“Any time we get to bring speakers like this it gives the students two things,” Bailey said. “One, it gives the students perspectives from other sources than their professors, and, secondly, a view from another country since we bring in leading people from other countries and learn about how their people are thinking and feeling when it comes to these issues.”

Pascal Bruckner will be speaking at 6:00 p.m. Wednesday at the Annenberg Presidential Center as a part of the SIIA International Affairs Seminar. RSVP is required through the Scowcroft Institute website, but the event is free to the public.