Sophomore OF Jace LaViolette (17) talks to Assistant Head Coach Nolan Cain during A&Ms games against Houston Christian University on Tuesday, March 26, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Searching for answers
Hunter Mitchell, Associate Sports Editor • May 11, 2024

Just a little over two weeks ago, Texas A&M baseball seemed to have everything going just right. Sitting at No. 1 in the country, the only...

Freshman doles out brownies to ease Corps stress

Business freshman Cassidy Lovett passes out free brownies to freshman cadets in the Quad Thursday. Jonathan Sheen — The Battalion

To show support for freshman cadets during the final phase leading up to receiving Corps Brass, students handed out homemade brownies on the Quad Thursday.
When freshmen receive their Corps Brass, it will replace one of the two gold A.M.U.’s on the collar of their uniform and signify the end of their first semester as a cadet.
Cassidy Lovett, business freshman and member of Tri Delta, said she began what she calls “Brownies for Brass” as a gesture of congratulatory support for the momentous event.
“I started ‘Brownies for Brass’ knowing that freshman year is a little rough for everyone, and that’s if you’re not in the Corps,” Lovett said. “If you are in the Corps, it’s really rough. I just figured these are some of the roughest weeks of their career as a cadet and everyone needs a little bit of encouragement.”
Lovett said volunteers from different organizations have participated in handing out the treats.
“I’ve had girls from all different sororities help me out, along with student government members and members of other campus organizations,” Lovett said.
Shelby Powers, music freshman and band member, said it is great to know that students are supporting fellow Aggies.
“It’s really awesome and you can definitely tell it’s just a part of the typical Aggie spirit,” Powers said. “A lot of people don’t know exactly what we do, so it’s kind of comforting to know that some people do understand and are there to support us.”
Lovett said she hopes to continue the event next year in hopes that the joy and knowledge the event brings to campus will continue.
“It’ll probably have the same concept, but we might have it in the fall and the spring so it’s not just once a year,” Lovett said. “It’s fun for us because we’re kind of able to learn the differences between freshmen and seniors just by their uniform. We’re definitely learning more about the Corps as we do it.”