Freshman organization brings service opportunities to Kyle Field

Kyle Field Day – a campus-wide event that gives students and members of the surrounding area the chance to engage in community service – will be held Saturday.Kyle Field Day began as an MSC Fish committee project by a group of freshmen with big goals.”It was a freshman’s idea to do an on-campus service event that everyone could participate in, and now it’s grown into its own committee and is one of our largest projects,” said Jake Boudreau, sophomore environmental design major and executive for the hosting committee.Not only has Kyle Field Day become one of MSC Fish’s largest yearly projects, but members said it also serves as motivation for incoming freshmen in the organization.”That’s what makes Kyle Field Day so amazing,” said Sarah Burns, sophomore business administration major. “It wasn’t an upperclassman or someone with an upper hand or more experience, but a freshman who just loved service and wanted to join in that Aggie mission for one Saturday on Kyle Field. It really encourages us to not hold back, because no idea is ever too big or shut down.”Kyle Field Day has become its own committee in MSC Fish, and within the committee are four separate sub-committees – marketing and merchandise, booths, day-of and donations. Boudreau said the goal is to attract students at A&M and members of the surrounding community to come and join the service project.Campus organization booths will be set up around Kyle Field, each with a small service project that students can choose to help with.”We have a booth that paints chalk boards for schools in Costa Rica,” Boudreau said. “We can make bracelets for sex trafficking victims in the U.S. and other countries. One organization last year painted picnic tables for the Boys and Girls Club, one painted trash cans for the Brazos Valley Food Bank and one painted dog bowls for the local animal shelter. They are all very tangible things that people can sit down and do in like five minutes.”Kyle Field Day will also feature free food and entertainment. Charlie Gore, Fade 2 Black, the Singing Cadets and other acts will be performing and food will include Hungry Howie’s, Chicken Express and Einstein Bros Bagels.Zach Siegrist, sophomore general studies major and executive for MSC Fish, said getting Kyle Field to be the venue for the organizations collection of service projects was easier than expected.”We are able to work with Aggie Athletics by attending monthly meetings with the athletic facilities coordinators,” Siegrist said. “We make sure to follow all of the rules of care for the field. They help provide us with tents, tables, inflatables, sumo suits, and chairs. Working with them is actually really easy.”Siegrist said more than 40 different booths representing campus organizations will be on the field this Saturday.”We live and breathe Kyle Field Day all year long, and it’s going to be the most rewarding thing we have ever done,” Siegrist said.The freshmen in MSC Fish that helped put the event together are particularly excited for what they can offer to students and the community.”Sometimes people don’t know what they can do or how they can help, and other times it’s hard for people to get the help or awareness they need,” Burns said. “Kyle Field Day creates that opportunity for everybody, whether they’re looking for a way to serve, or looking for people to join in their service goals.”