Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Freshmen celebrate milestones, partake in traditions

Under the arches of the Quad, symbolic of the spirit of the 12th Man, the freshman class of 2016 celebrated milestones and strengthened their Aggie spirit at the 9th annual Fish Fest on Thursday.
According to freshman international studies major and co-director of Fish Fest Santiago Ceron, Fish Fest is the official freshmen-only class event aimed at celebrating the end of students freshman year.
[The purpose of Fish Fest] is mainly to unite our class and transition us into our sophomore year and onward to build unity within ourselves and to prepare ourselves for whats to come, Ceron said.
With the musical styling of a live DJ in the background, students enjoyed an afternoon of free food, racing through an inflatable obstacle course, playing foursquare and watching performances by the Aggie Wranglers and Fade to Black.
I think [Fish Fest] strengthens the bond and relationship between the freshmen, freshman allied health major Stephanie Arosemena said. Its like a big party to celebrate the traditions of A&M and it reminds me that A&M is like a big family.
Fish Fest co-director and freshman business major Kelcey Cockrell said Fish Fest serves as an outlet for freshmen to build class unity as well as to engage in favored Aggie traditions, such as pictures with Reveille, observing the Corps lower the colors and their own personal yell practice.
Citing the 12th Man statue donated by the Class of 1980, Cockrell said Fish Fest has significant importance, as it is the freshman class first to give back to the University through a class gift.
We can start our path to getting the class gift because this is our first event towards [giving back], Cockrell said. It could be anything from a statue to a [scholarship] for others to give to somebody else so they can fulfill their education here. We get to donate that to A&M and thats something Im really passionate about.
Ceron said he hopes students enjoyed a calm night and formed new friendships, but most of all that students left with lasting feelings of support from their fellow class members.
I want them to leave feeling optimistic about their future and to know that through all the struggles of college that were going have these next couple years, theyre always going to have a class that is going be able to support them no matter what, Ceron said.