Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Friends, family gather to remember public servant Brian Bachmann

A heavy silence filled Reed Arena on Saturday as a casket dressed with the American flag was brought forward. Thousands were gathered in remembrance of Constable Brian Bachmann, who fell in the line of duty last Monday.
After 20 years of service, Bachmann was shot when serving an eviction notice, devastating the Bryan-College Station community. The two-and-a-half hour service provided insight into the constable’s character as well as the events of the shooting that resulted in Bachmann’s death.
Rev. Tommy Myrick, one of the speakers at the funeral, said Bachmann hated serving eviction notices. He said Bachmann was more interested in helping people find a solution than serving the notice. Myrick said he guessed that Bachmann was going to try to help Thomas Caffall find a place to live.
This kindness and compassion of Bachmann was a recurring theme in the testimonies given by family and friends. Governor Bill Flores said Bachmann was the model of a servant. Brazos County Sheriff Chris Kirk spoke of Bachmanns commitment to service.
Bachmann was responsible for recruiting active duty service members and was expected to be a strong candidate for Sheriff.
The Bachmann family considered its community as family. Those who worked to save Bachmanns life on that day were asked to sit with the family at the request of his son Colby. This camaraderie and unity was evident in the 3,000 people who attended, many of whom were servicemen from around the state.
Eric Johnson, a public service administration graduate student, attended the funeral. He plans on pursuing a career that would make him a first responder like Bachmann.
It makes you think, what would I do? Johnson said.
While the events of Mondays shooting were tragic, Johnson said it does not discourage him from pursuing public service.
Funerals normally fill pews, but the memory of Bachmann filled a stadium. Bachmanns Christian faith served as a beacon of hope in a season of mourning.
Bill Flores referenced John 15:13 in regards to the loss: Greater love has no one than this: to lay down ones life for ones friends.