From Matthew Maggio, senior finance major

Given the recent tragedy on the University of Texas campus, we must remind ourselves that an open shooter situation can happen at any time, on any campus. I have heard many people say, “This could never happen at A&M.” That mentality is dangerous and false. Yes, A&M is a more conservative campus than UT, but that doesn’t stop unstable people from going postal. However, there are a few ways we can ensure a quick end to any open shooter situation we might find our campus in, although I personally hope to God that none of us ever have to deal with that. First of all, every Aggie should watch the ‘ShotsFired’ video on the Emergency Preparedness website (http://tamu.edu/emergency) and familiarize yourself with emergency procedures for such a situation. Second, if something happens, call 911. Don’t wait for a second or third shot to verify you heard gunfire. If you hear it once, call it in and give a location. Third, get out of the open, lock yourself in a concealed room, one without windows, and get away from the door. Do not stand outside calling your parents or friends, you make yourself an open target. These steps can help prevent you from becoming a victim in an open shooter situation. “But Code Maroon takes forever to generate a text or an email and I normally don’t get something until an hour after it happens.” “Police take too long to respond to situations and by the time they get to the area of the shooter, it’s too late.” These are statements I have also heard regarding open shooter situations. However, fear not, due to A&M being more of a rural school and such a conservative school, I am confident more than just police would be able to help in an open shooter situation. I reference a situation a few years before the Virginia Tech tragedy. There was an open shooter walking through a southern campus that had gun laws similar to A&M’s. This particular college allowed students to keep firearms in their cars or trucks, and when 2 particular students (one an ex-law enforcement officer, another an avid hunter) heard the first gunshots, they sprinted to their vehicles and grabbed their shotgun and rifle. Before the shooter could actually claim a victim, the 2 students had the shooter cornered. I’m not saying to be a vigilante, or carry guns when you shouldn’t, but I am saying that people shouldn’t be afraid of guns being around campus. Maybe the State of Texas could benefit from the security of allowing concealed carry on campus (with appropriate CHL licensing, background checks, and registering weapons with the Universities). After all, statistics have shown that more registered guns and CHL holders in an area correlates to fewer gun crimes. If you have a weapon in your car, make sure it is legal to have, accessible if you need it, and only use it if it is the last resort. That said, do not get in law enforcement’s way, if you see emergency personnel on scene, lay your weapon down immediately so you are not mistaken for the shooter and they can deal with the actual shooter. I encourage everyone to familiarize themselves with procedures for open shooter situations and develop an action plan if you were to be caught in such a predicament. Know where the nearest phone or emergency station is, along with where you would hide if need be. The best way to prevent an open shooter from claiming victims is preparedness and quick action.