Fun run will donate to NYC relief efforts

Half of the proceeds from this Saturday’s Run to the Chicken will benefit the relief effort in New York City, organizers said.
Started by Delta Zeta five years ago, the run raised more than $14,000 last year for the Houston Ear Research Foundation and Delta Zeta Foundation, a scholarship program. The group hopes to raise $20,000 this year.
“The first year we started with about 50 runners, the second year we had several hundred and by the third year there were 1600,”said Katie McClosky, a member of Delta Zeta and a Run to the Chicken organizer.
Nineteen Corps of Cadets outfits, several fraternities and other student organizations will join members of the community in what organizers hope will be a record turnout.
“We participate because it’s fun and a good community service opportunity,” said Ben Arcuni of Company C-2. Arcuni said Run to the Chicken is one of the better fun-runs because there are so many participants.
The 5K run will begin Saturday at 8 a.m., behind the Dixie Chicken.
“We chose the Dixie Chicken because it is a well established business and helps promote our event,” said Jessica Newhouse, member of Delta Zeta and a run organizer.
The second half of the proceeds will go to the Delta Zeta Foundation and the Houston Ear Research Foundation.
Entrants can register at the Commons, E. L. Wehner Building or the Memorial Student Center today or at the Dixie Chicken Saturday morning, Newhouse said.
“There will be registration going on up until the race,” Newhouse said. “The cost is $15 after Thursday.”