Funeral plans scheduled for Reveille VII

A memorial honoring retired Reveille VII, who died in May, will take place Sept. 6 in Reed Arena, with notable changes from past
Reveille funerals.
The past memorials for the “First Lady of Aggieland” were on Kyle Field and organized by students. They have included a 21-gun salute and the playing of taps and were followed by the burial of the mascot in front of
Kyle Field.
Reveille VII’s memorial will contain a moment of silence instead of a prayer and will not be followed by a burial, due to plans to exhume former Reveilles during the Kyle
Field renovation.
Jake Lawson, senior agricultural communications and journalism major, said he didn’t understand the reasons for the changes.
“I honestly think they should keep it traditional,” Lawson said. “Even with the renovation, I don’t see why they can’t hold it in Kyle Field. If we’re a traditional school and we like to keep our traditions, why would we change that one? That’s one of the
biggest ones.”
Jonathan Bezile, freshman mechanical engineering major, said he understood the location change and why taps could be inappropriate for Reveille VII’s service, despite tradition.
“They should keep the tradition alive, but at the same time, I don’t think it matters where the service is held,” he said.
Tonya Woleful, sophomore education major, said that because of Reveille’s position in the Corps of Cadets, the mascot should be held in higher regard.
“I feel like they should keep [the memorial] like it was because she’s such a respected member of the Corps,” she said. “She should get that honor like all of the other ones have.”
Freshman mechanical engineering major Daniel Cullison said he thinks the tradition of taps should be reserved for the men and women who serve the country.
“Taps is one of the respects, I feel, for our military,” Cullison said. “[I’m] not necessarily degrading Reveille but [it’s about] honoring our soldiers.”
Reveille VII was retired in 2008 and was euthanized in May due to complications from pneumonia and emergency surgery for a ruptured ulcer.
Corps of Cadets Company E-2, which is responsible for the care of Reveille during her time as mascot, could not be immediately reached for comment.