Gamers Thumb – A knight to remember

Class starts in 10 minutes. There might be a test. Who cares? There’s a lot more “Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords” to be played. When installing this game onto your computer’s hard drive, potential players must make a decision: Which is more important, our future or the future of the Republic? Only a self-serving, egotistical maniac would put his or her well-being before that of an entire galaxy. Who really needs to go to class anyway?
To call “KOTOR II” addictive would be unfair to things such as crack cocaine, heroin and the Teletubbies. “KOTOR II” becomes, for many gamers, more of a calling. Indeed, the very decisions players are faced with affect not only their standing with The Force, but with all life forms in the galaxy.
The fact of the matter is that “KOTOR II” is probably the most in-depth and absorbing RPG on the market right now. Every single decision you make not only affects your own character’s course of action, but that of those around him as well. Talking to non-player characters in a harsh manner might earn the respect of some of your more hard-lining compatriots, while in turn, the same action might cause your character to lose the respect of some of your softhearted allies. If one of your companions holds you in particularly high esteem, it’s much more likely that they will open up to you and potentially tell you something of significance about their past. Consequently, every interaction in the game has its share of repercussions.
While the combat is turn-based, it is still very intense. From a simple menu, there is a veritable cornucopia of actions you can take. Attacks can be planned a few turns in advance, and with ability to control multiple characters simultaneously, battle plans can become very complex. Options include various force powers, light saber attacks and the ability to throw hand grenades. Each attack has its own advantages and disadvantages. Certain attacks, for example, grant your character increased damage, but leave him vulnerable to attacks. New to “KOTOR II” is the ability for your character to gradually obtain several different light saber stances; each one is beneficial for confronting a specific kind of enemy force.
The graphics convey a sense of realism. While not revolutionary by any stretch of the imagination, there were times when my mid-range PC shuddered in an attempt to keep up. Light sabers glow bright in the darkness of space, Wookies appear imposing and characters’ facial expressions appear life-like coupled with lip-synch that is matched up flawlessly with good voiceovers.
“Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords” is one of the best games on the PC right now. In a market flooded with cheesy “Harry Potter” titles, it’s a Godsend. For anyone who is a role-playing fan or considering becoming one, I would highly recommend picking up this title. The in-depth storyline coupled with above average graphics and realistic sound makes this game difficult to pass up. It’s perfection in a box. If you don’t immediately go out and purchase this title, I fail to see why any woman would ever talk to you.