Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Genetically engineered food is a new reality engineered food is a new reality

“These are magic beans that will bring you fortune.”
As the story goes, Jack went home and showed the beans to his mother who called him a fool for putting his faith in a bag of “magic” beans. Frustrated and angry, she tossed them out the window sending Jack to bed. Every American knows the end of this fictional story having heard it as a child, but as it turns out, this might not be a fairy tale anymore.
Genetic engineering long has been regarded as the future of food production, and now, it has become a reality. By altering the genetic makeup of plants, scientists can produce healthier crops and more of them. Open any kitchen cupboard or look on any restaurant’s menu, chances are, they are full of products enhanced by food production companies to be cheaper, healthier and better.
Over the years, these companies have used technology for the benefit of mankind by making our food healthier, cheaper and more abundant than ever. This burden is not taken lightly, and because of the current economy, cost conscious consumers have become more aware than ever of the price of food.
New farming techniques yield more produce, newly discovered hormones allow cows to produce more milk and new sterilization techniques make our food cleaner. It only seems logical that genetic engineering is the next step in food production technology.
To maintain or lower the cost of food in the United States, many companies are turning to genetically engineered foods as their next resource. The FDA passed regulations for genetically engineered foods in 1992 and again in 2001.
Both times, they saw very little danger in letting research continue without interference. Genetically engineered foods are healthier, heartier and more nutritious than organic foods and can be produced for less money. They will make a powerful weapon against world hunger and will play an important role in feeding our ever-growing population.
Opponents of genetically engineered food should try living for a few weeks on an empty stomach, before condemning the foods as unsafe. A genetically engineered ear of corn might not look so bad after a month of starvation. Green Peace, the group made famous by the “Save the Whales” campaign in the mid 80s, is one of the strongest opponents of genetically engineered foods.
Its Website cites allergic reactions as one of the main evils of genetic engineering. It claims that because people potentially could become allergic to genetic foods, then their production should be stopped. A lot of people are allergic to peanuts,but doe as that mean a “Save the Peanuts” campaign should be mounted?
It is idiotic to mount a campaign aimed at better food production methods. Who is the bigger fool? Jack for putting his faith in some magic beans or his mother for throwing them out the window?