Georgia bests A&M in weekend series, 2-1

%26%23160%3B

The Aggie softball team dropped two of three games to Georgia in its third SEC series of the year.
No. 15 Texas A&M (23-9, 4-5 SEC) fell, 4-2, to the No. 14 Georgia Bulldogs (28-3, 5-1 SEC) on Sunday.
The Bulldogs jumped on the Aggies with a solo homerun in the third by leftfielder Anna Swafford. Although the Aggies answered in the bottom of the fourth inning, sophomore pitcher Chelsea Wilkinson (16-2) carried the Bulldogs, throwing seven innings while allowing two runs on five hits and retiring five batters.
Aggie sophomore pitcher Katie Marks (11-1) suffered her first loss. Head coach Jo Evans expressed the importance of her team finishing ballgames rather than playing on the defensive.
“When you’re facing a good pitcher like Wilkinson, you’ve got to take advantage of your opportunities when you get them, especially when you’ve got no outs and you’re loading bases and making things happen for yourself,” Evans said. “We fight, but we need to figure out a way to finish. We need to figure out how to take over a game and really stay in it until the end.”
A&M on Friday dropped its second extra-inning game of SEC play by the score of 4-3 before rebounding Saturday with a 4-2 victory.
Senior Emily Albus had an efficient weekend at the plate while repeatedly getting on base with her quickness and making highlight-reel plays in centerfield, robbing sophomore Alex Hugo of her home run.
Junior Brittany Clopton went 5-for-8 at the plate with three runs scored in the series.
The Aggies will hit the road for their next seven games, beginning Friday with a three-game series against Arkansas in Fayetteville.