Gig ’em, Aggies

On Oct. 4, 1876, the state of Texas founded its first public institution of higher education.
The experiment, over the past 125 years, has matured into the Texas A&M University that every Aggie holds dear. A&M’s global renown is not only because of our academic excellence, but also the character of the individuals who have come and gone here.
A&M has become known as a place where people are not only loyal to one another, but to ideals. Our history of commitment to our nation, traditions and one another is unsurpassed. Now we must make sure that we hold onto the legacy that was born in 1876 as we carve out one for ourselves.
Of course, some things in Aggieland have changed over time. The once unthinkable — non-regs, women, minority students and foreign nationals inhabiting campus — are now commonplace. This is a very positive thing for the University, as it allows our reputation to be spread to areas that it would not have been able to reach otherwise. The rapid growth of the school is enough to leave a graduate from 15 years ago looking for directions.
One thing that has remained untouched over time is the belief that Aggies are part of something bigger than themselves. This can be seen on the Medal of Honor citations on the walls of the Memorial Student Center. It is felt when hundreds stand silent on the first Tuesday night of each month as Taps is played in front of the Academic Building. It is heard in a jovial “howdy” or a solemn “here.” We are willing to endure pressure from outsiders to discontinue one of our most cherished traditions — Aggie Bonfire — because it means something to people from this school that cannot be defined by words.
Aggies are not just bound by tradition; they look to create new ones. These new traditions are established through leadership, a trait consistent with students of this school for 125 years.
We find ourselves in a new and different world today, and that leadership will be required not only on this campus, but all around the world.
Many students have already proven that they are willing to accept the mantle of leadership. This is the campus where students originated an idea to help the people of New York City on a Website, and transformed their pipe dream into a Kyle Field that looked like a patriot’s dream. It is the place where people stand ready in case they are needed by their team on Saturday, and they are willing to do the same for their country on Monday. People here do not necessarily do what is easy, but they do what is right.
On this 125th anniversary, A&M and its students are confronted with an insidious evil that would gladly tear away all this school and nation have accomplished over time. It will take the courage and strength of the past, and the vision of the present to help defeat them. This could be our first new tradition.
We must also be certain that we work for a better University. We must strengthen our liberal arts programs so that even more people will be interested in finding out what being an Aggie truly is. We must be able to use the leadership and commitment given to us by past generations to help us find the vision needed to blend tomorrow’s challenges with yesterday’s success.
At this great moment, we can take pride in the history of our school and have confidence that we can do what must be done to make it and our world better. We are Aggies, and we will succeed. We always have. Happy Birthday, Texas A&M.