Gov. Perry appoints new regent

Gov. Rick Perry appointed new student regent, Fernando Trevino Jr. of Brownsville, to the Texas A&M University Board of Regents for the 2011-2012 school year. Next year, Trevino will be the sixth student regent, since Perry created the position in 2006. Trevino will replace outgoing student regent Cresencio Davila of San Antonio, whose term ends May 31.
Trevino was informed of his appointment to the student regent position two weeks ago. Leading up to June 1, the beginning of his term, Trevino is attending orientations and meeting with other regents and student body presidents to prepare for his position as student regent. Trevino said he is honored and humbled that the Board of Regents and Gov. Perry are confident in his abilities to serve his fellow Aggies.
“Student regents should have a desire for public service and an understanding of, and appreciation for, the value of higher education. One of Texas A&M University’s core values is selfless service, and nothing less should be expected of those appointed to serve as student regent,” Trevino said.
Chief Communication Officer to the President’s Office Jason Cook said the student regent provides a unique student perspective since the position was added to the board.
“The student regents are a part of all the discussions and all the decision making processes with the board when issues or polices are being considered. They have a seat at the table as a member of the board of regents,” Cook said.
Trevino was accepted to the George HW Bush School of Government and Public Service’s five-year Master’s of Public Service and Administration. As a graduate student, his concentration will be on educational policy.
In his four years as an undergraduate, Trevino was involved with the political arena of Texas in both political parties. He said that as long as he can remember he has been attentive to volunteerism and public service. Trevino said his wide range of focus made him prepared to represent the large and widespread student population of the A&M System.
“My experiences have prepared me to aid the board in the face of state budget cuts. The students of Texas A&M deserve a representative who expects responsible fiscal stewardship of our University and will work to ensure that the University is run efficiently without sacrificing the quality of our education,” Trevino said. “I fully intend to ensure that quality education is not only accessible, but also affordable by ensuring that our tuition money is being spent wisely so students may continue to receive an affordable, quality education.”
The Texas A&M University System is one of the largest systems of higher education in the nation, with a network of 11 universities, seven state agencies and a health science center. It educates more than 120,000 students and makes more than 22 million additional educational contacts through service and outreach programs each year.
To foster a better learning environment throughout the University System, Trevino said he wants to be available to all students.
“I encourage all students to participate in the governance of our University by contacting me, as I am here to selflessly serve their best interests,” Trevino said.