Graduation speakers announced

Jordan Smith knows what it means to work hard. As a senior Lt. Col. in the Corps of Cadets, he spends his time off for the summer and holidays working 100-hour weeks and taking college classes. Since his sophomore year, he has taken 16-hour semesters and worked as the student volunteer coordinator for Reed Arena when Hurricane Katrina hit.
“Being a senior is the climax of your Corps experience where you put together the things you have learned, and you’re taking the next step,” Smith said.
Smith said he is one of many Aggies looking forward to graduation.
Graduation ceremonies at Texas A&M will take place May 11 through 13 for more than 5,000 students. Speakers include former President George Bush, Republic of Panama President Martin Torrijos Espino, Texas Commissioner of Agriculture Susan Combs and Speaker of the A&M Faculty Senate John Fike.
Following graduation, 85 members of the Corps will be commissioned to be officers in the Army, Air Force, Navy or Marine Corps. Smith is contracted for the Air Force, and said he will be a pilot.
“Graduation to me is one of the greatest achievements of my life, especially from Texas A&M University, because I am a first generation college student and it has been one the biggest challenges of my life,” Smith said. “I’m very proud to say I’ve made it this far at one of the greatest universities that holds service before self so it dear to its heart.”
The speakers were chosen from recommendations made from a variety of sources, with the president’s office making the final decision, said Lane Stephenson, deputy director of University Relations.
“I think it’s a fabulous selection – a former president of the United States and a president of another country, Panama,” Stephenson said. “To have one current and one former chief of state is a real feather in our cap.”
Stephenson said he feels it is appropriate for Fike to speak at the ceremony because he is the primary spokesperson of A&M’s faculty. A member of A&M’s faculty has spoken at graduation for at least three years, he said.
“This carries on a tradition of having a broad cross-section of speakers for our commencement ceremonies and ones we think will bring meaningful messages to the students receiving degrees and to their families and friends in attendance,” Stephenson said.
Saturday will include final review for the Corps. Media Relations Coordinator for the Office of the Commandant Christi Voelkel said that the ceremony is an emotional experience for the seniors and important for all Corps members.